5r55w Tranny removal Transmission remove | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55w Tranny removal Transmission remove

P. doggy

Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 UW Ed.
I have to put a new Tranny in the X. Shops around here want ~$700 to take one out and put one in. I have done a couple manual transmissions berfore, but not an AT. Has anyone taken out a 5r55w and put one back in. If so, can you give me some instructions.
Thanx, Jared G.
PS I already searched

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope someone responds as it's looking like I am going to have to do this soon as well. These 5R55W's are definitely flawed...

About to start the take down on mine today.... need to replace the TQ... sucks,

awedrocks, thats what went in my 97 5r55e with 126k on the ticker. Trans ran awesome the tc gave up the ghost.

I would suggest to all of you, while the new trans are out, please install a shift kit of some sort, either it be from transgo or whom ever. You will not regret it. I had mine rebuilt from top to bottom and got a transgo shift kit along with Mobil 1 Full Syn ATF and its like a whole new tranny, technically it is, lol

Good luck guys.

I've read alot on here about the 2-3 flare on the 5r55e but I was thinking I have the 5r55w in my 2002 eddie bauer 4x4 4.6 V8. Anyone know the difference in the 2? Do you think my 2-3 flare is caused by the same problem with the 5r55e? I've heard good things about the rebuilt valve bodies. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated!

The 5R55W uses a unitary case (bell housing is connected to the entire case as one unit), and it has no dip stick. The servos are also much larger. They apply more holding power on the bands (at the expense of broken bands in some cases). The solenoid blocks tend to act up around 60k miles. The 5R55E has a separate bell housing, and a dip stick. Both have issues with shift flares.

Back to the original question. The removal process should be similar to any other automatic transmission with the exception of not having to remove the dip stick since there is none. You have to remove the bell housing bolts, torque converter nuts, driveshaft, and the transfer case if you have 4 wheel drive.

Back