• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

5R55W transmission servo piston removal

tmaher

Reaction score
City, State
wakefield RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt 4wd
Has anyone tried this guys fix?
http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com

A pretty big price bump from the stockers but wondering if it is worth it.
I had the 1-2 shift flare with O/D blinking. DTC = P0775. All the symptoms pointed to the OD server wear issue. After much debate, i purchased just the OD server mod part and had it installed. It fixed the problem. So, $130 for the part, $150 for 2 hours labor at a local garage and my tranny is like new. After a couple of weeks, no issues to report. Beats having some transmission shop or the dealer telling me i need a complete rebuild!!

BTW, i attempted to install myself but it was too much of a pain so that's why i took it to a local shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

mrnextel

Reaction score
City, State
PITTSBURGH
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT/NBX 4.6
Has #Metrix ever checked back in? Im wondering how his repair held up as its now about 3 years later. Im having the 2-3 Flare problem myself and am preparing to attack it.

Please reply

Metrix

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
My friend sold it about a year ago, it was still shifting fine.

tree11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mtneer
I'm going to make this thread a sticky in this section. Here are the servos with the springs, and measurements:
:usa:i replaced solenoid pack as shop manager suggested.did not fix it.still skips 2nd gear.refuses to shift into 5th.
i don't have $2000 to rebuild transmission.
where can i find a good one?i can remove and replace myself.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

B4CTROOPER

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin Square, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4dr XLS
:usa:i replaced solenoid pack as shop manager suggested.did not fix it.still skips 2nd gear.refuses to shift into 5th.
i don't have $2000 to rebuild transmission.
where can i find a good one?i can remove and replace myself.
Check out my thread here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290282
I had the same problem. If I remember right, I paid about $18 for the part at the stealer. I am also VERY slow and careful doing repairs on my vehicles when it's something I never did before. Wasn't difficult to do at all. Click on the other threads linked in mine. Pictures will be in them. Still driving the same truck today, did that repair almost 15K miles ago, never had an issue since.
On a side note, my sister in law had the same issue on her 02 Explorer about 2 years ago. She was told it needs a rebuild (about 45K miles at the time, she doesn't drive much). I had them buy the same part. They changed it, worked perfect, and still does. Any questions, please ask.

tree11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mtneer
Thanks Trooper.Small shops around here claim to fix only whats wrong,not pushing rebuilds like the big chain shops.If that where true,why would they say i need a rebuild?My merc has 180,000 miles.Theres a good chance of it being rebuilt in the past.It's too clean,inside and out.
when i pull servos out,hope to see bores have been sleeved.I was told brass sleeves wear out.I did not see brass in the fluid.No fiber either.
So now,i will click your link .

tree11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mtneer
03 mountaineer

i'm replacing the smaller servo.i really don't want take the pan off again if i can avoid it.
i seen where another feller took pan off,held the band up with screwdriver.
so,do i have to do that?

tree11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mtneer
i got my cross member out today.took 2 hours.should i cut the exhuast bolts ?they are very rusty.at the manafold,no problem cause i changed engine this summer.servo piston arrives today.

tree11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mtneer
Check to see what the code numbers are before you replace any parts.
i got this message too late.i replaced solenoid pack.still don't have 2nd and 5th gears.battery gage is just above the 1/2 mark.wires look fine.

Bofronado

Reaction score
City, State
Robins, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
O-rings or no O-rings?

Lots of great information here. I am looking at buying an 03 Explorer with a transmission issue that sounds like it is the servo problem. I see that some people are just replacing the servos and one guy is using the modified o-ring repair parts. It sounds like the first step would be to remove the servos and check for wear on the sleeves. Explorer has 170K on it. For you guys that just replaced the servos, did you have pretty good luck with how long the repair lasted?

Also, what would be a good price to pay for an 03 XLT with a transmission issue. Buyer is asking $1500. Other than the trans. the vehicle looks pretty clean, and well equipped. Thanks.

tree11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mtneer
do i need to take pan off to replace 0/D servo?

Bofronado

Reaction score
City, State
Robins, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
do i need to take pan off to replace 0/D servo?
Based on what I can see, no, you do not need to take off the pan or remove the transmission from the vehicle to change the servos, although it appears it is very tight, and some other things, like the exaust may need to be removed.

tree11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mtneer
i did remove cross member to get exhaust off.piston i got from www.makco.com is covered with rubber and is tight fit in the cover.i greased it,pushed it in the cover 1st,then pushed it in tranny.i hope i did not push too hard,and damage new piston.
i should have pushed gently as far as it wanted to go,then loosen the band one turn.
90 degree snap ring tool works.
i don't understand why anyone would pay to sleeve the little hole in the case.the big bore can't wear down from soft rubber rubbing on it.looks like a world wide scam shops use to get your money.
At 180,000 miles,i did not see any wear on little hole.the stock pistons have one rubber ring,my replacement has 2.made like that to keep it strait in the bore.
piston i used cost $26.84.ship $10.99.got new o-rings too.
reused spring.don't seem strong enough to return tight fitting piston.
adjusted bands 2 turns out.i read that here ...somewhere.

Last edited:

tree11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mtneer
Lots of great information here. I am looking at buying an 03 Explorer with a transmission issue that sounds like it is the servo problem. I see that some people are just replacing the servos and one guy is using the modified o-ring repair parts. It sounds like the first step would be to remove the servos and check for wear on the sleeves. Explorer has 170K on it. For you guys that just replaced the servos, did you have pretty good luck with how long the repair lasted?

Also, what would be a good price to pay for an 03 XLT with a transmission issue. Buyer is asking $1500. Other than the trans. the vehicle looks pretty clean, and well equipped. Thanks.
thats a good price.i gave twice that for mine.soon found it had a cracked head.it had a new water pump.i had to replace engine.thats what i get for dealing with a raghead.
look for bubbles in coolant while its running.check dip stick for white oil.look for steam in tail pipe.down load engine codes.misfire could mean wet plug.hard to start could mean hydro lock.

Bofronado

Reaction score
City, State
Robins, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
thats a good price.i gave twice that for mine.soon found it had a cracked head.it had a new water pump.i had to replace engine.thats what i get for dealing with a raghead.
look for bubbles in coolant while its running.check dip stick for white oil.look for steam in tail pipe.down load engine codes.misfire could mean wet plug.hard to start could mean hydro lock.
Drove it last night and it really acted like a servo issue, but the rear end was also screaming so I backed away. Just too many issues to make any money on it, even at $1500.

B4CTROOPER

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin Square, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4dr XLS
Drove it last night and it really acted like a servo issue, but the rear end was also screaming so I backed away. Just too many issues to make any money on it, even at $1500.
Tell him the rear is also shot and tell him $800 is the most you'll do. They will prob take it. As long as the gear oil is full, keep driving it. That's what I do with my truck. Had an axle seal leak when I bought it and it was empty. I filled it and even though it's noisy, I've put almost 15K on it since.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Bofronado

Reaction score
City, State
Robins, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
Okay, got the 2003 for $1000, so now the fun begins! From looking at the board here it looks like it has all of the typical Explorer Gen 3 issues: Servos in trans bad, rear end bearings, click from air blend door. My wife was with me on the test drive and said she thought she hear something sloshing behind the dash, like water in a bottle.

Any ideas? Have not seen that on the forum.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T 2002 Explorer with a broken servo piston in a 5R55W transmission. Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
C 2002 explorer p0741 code. 5r55w transmission problems. OD light flashing. Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
L 5R55W Transmission Showing P0775, P0732, P0735 Transmissions & Transfer Cases 24
L 5R55W transmission on 03 explorer leaking Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
A Replacing 5r55w transmission, pointers? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
C 2002 Ford Explorer 5R55W Transmission Question? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
Rick 5R55W - 5R44E - 5R55E Transmission How To Articles Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
S 5r55w Transmission Pump Alignment? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
J 5R55W transmission rebuild issue. I can't shift out of park. Transmissions & Transfer Cases 5
K 5R55W & 5R55S transmission compatibility. Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
T 2002 Explorer Transmission 5R55S Problems can I replace with a 5R55W??? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
94Eddie Need transmission rebuilt (5R55W) and advice Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
M 5r55w transmission flawed?--Opinions Transmissions & Transfer Cases 6
K 5r55w transmission slips on hard stops Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
B 5R55W transmission with a P0775. Transmissions & Transfer Cases 17
R Help! Replaced transmission, problems (5r55W, 2002 Explorer). Transmissions & Transfer Cases 5
E 5R55W Transmission Deep Preventive Maintenance Recommendations? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 6
M 5r55w solenoid pack compatibility Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
P Solved 5R55W/S O/Drive flashing fault on a 2009 Ranger in Australia. Transmissions & Transfer Cases 35
D 5r55w diy options Transmissions & Transfer Cases 5
J Hi All my first time dose rebuild kit for 5r55w fit 5r55s Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
P need to replace or rebuild my 5r55w... what to do? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
S 5r55w blown out OD servo cover Please help Transmissions & Transfer Cases 14
T 5r55w no forward or reverse gears. Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
A 05 explorer 5r55w 2-3 shift delay Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
K 5R55w to 5R55S swap Transmissions & Transfer Cases 6
J Has someone swapped a 5r55w to a 5r55s? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 7
R New member 5R55S replace the 5R55W? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 5
C 5R55w Servo fix Transmissions & Transfer Cases 12
C 5R55W 6 cyl and 8 cyl the same? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
M 5R55W No 3rd Gear, out of ideas Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
0 5r55w 4.6 2wd help Transmissions & Transfer Cases 8
G Swapped 5R55S for 5R55W, should I swap pcm as well? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 7
J 02 eb explorer 4.6l 4x2 trans error 5r55w Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
R 5r55w won't shift unless in limp mode Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
C Courier 5r55w Trans swap question Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
R rebuilding trans help 5r55w Transmissions & Transfer Cases 6
H 5r55W/S/N Solenoid pack repair instead of replace Transmissions & Transfer Cases 7
F 5r55w manual transfer case swap Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
P 5r55w and 5r55s transmissions Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
B Where to buy a 5R55w Solenoid Pack?? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
S Noise at shift change 5r55w Transmissions & Transfer Cases 6
S 5r55w SELECTIVE THRUST WASHER (FRONT CLEARANCE) Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
L 5r55w tranny not going into low or reverse Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
M 03 5r55w pump removal Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
L 5r55w TransGo install P0733 & P0735 Transmissions & Transfer Cases 19
J 5r55w 2002 xlt Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
J 5r55w Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
D 5R55W rebuild....will this cover it Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
M Another 5R55W P0745 thread Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0