5th Gen Explorer Photo Thread | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5th Gen Explorer Photo Thread

Mods I've done to my 2018 xlt....replaced stock 18" wheels with 20 x 8.5 from a 2015 limited wrapped in goodyear weather ready tires, Added fog/driving lights from a 2019 limited. installed a class 3 hitch and custom modified the bumper with cut out for the receiver. Added a dual 2.4 V USB charger to the console for second row passengers. Removed 3rd row seating and seat elts ( FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM ) and added PIU bracing and under floor storage. Installed a block heater. Soon to add 20mm wheel spacers because I can't afford new 20" rims with an ET of 25, almost 35,000 miles not an issue, handles better than stock. Will eventually replace stock shocks and struts with bilstien B6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mods I've done to my 2018 xlt....replaced stock 18" wheels with 20 x 8.5 from a 2015 limited wrapped in goodyear weather ready tires, Added fog/driving lights from a 2019 limited. installed a class 3 hitch and custom modified the bumper with cut out for the receiver. Added a dual 2.4 V USB charger to the console for second row passengers. Removed 3rd row seating and seat elts ( FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM ) and added PIU bracing and under floor storage. Installed a block heater. Soon to add 20mm wheel spacers because I can't afford new 20" rims with an ET of 25, almost 35,000 miles not an issue, handles better than stock. Will eventually replace stock shocks and struts with bilstien B6

Any details on the hitch you used and the install? Looking to add one, but having a hard time finding the factory style that runs through the bumper, most sit under the bumper. Ironically I am going the opposite way and have a PIU that I am taking out the bracing to add the third row for the kiddos if I can ever find a black leather third row somewhere locally...

Any details on the hitch you used and the install? Looking to add one, but having a hard time finding the factory style that runs through the bumper, most sit under the bumper. Ironically I am going the opposite way and have a PIU that I am taking out the bracing to add the third row for the kiddos if I can ever find a black leather third row somewhere locally...
I installed a drawtite class 3 because I got it for $60 in like new condition.
Because it wasn't OEM buying the bumper with factory hitch cut out wouldn't work.
The L and R rear panels, bumper skin, bumper re-enforcement bar come off, then you have to lower the L and R side exhaust.
I used 2 jack stands to hold the exhaust after removing both rear most hangers, and the hanger near the rear axle.
If you can't find the 3rd row seat in leather I have everything u need from my 18 xlt in black fabric, with headrests and both seatbelt assemblies

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_072409094.jpg
    IMG_20200410_072409094.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 330

Just keep in mind that with an aftermarket hitch the legal towing weight as per Ford is 2000 lbs.

Peter

Just keep in mind that with an aftermarket hitch the legal towing weight as per Ford is 2000 lbs.

Peter
Appreciate the towing capacity info, I don't tow anything I use it for a bike rack and rear impact protection. Couldn't refuse the $60 offer on the receiver, so I installed it.

Crix81, looks awesome!

This a going to be epic.. started following you on IG. Can't wait to see how well the v6 handles the mods you have planned...

Interested in the Wilwoods as a future mod, but springs and suspension parts first.

Thanks! Yeah, a lot going on with it right now. I actually don't spend a lot of time on these boards, I'm more active on the SHO forums. There's more traffic over there and the 3.5L stuff is relevant to our drivetrain, so I'm usually posting over there.

Inked20200609_114353_LI.jpg

Latest Pic

Looks sharp!

I like the silver around the door windows. How'd you do that?
Thanks, I bought that on ebay a few years back and is just secured by 3m double sided tape. The rubber molding trim between the last window (triangle) and the main one is kinda sticking out and I don't like it, so I covered it up :)

Posted in the "what did you do today" thread but figured I would share here as well.

Still need to get it painted but Iam happy with the added beef.

1593628854032.png

Are those Leds on the top of the grill? can you share info?

Thanks..

My Dad picked up a Ranger and bought these LED grille insert lights to be similar to the raptor grille not knowing he could get one, found out he could and gave me the bracket with the LED's. The bracket wouldnt work with this grille so I drilled out the holes and inserted the LEDs, I tapped into the parking lights so they are on whenever those are in the on position or locking/unlocking the vehicle.

(hood is fine, was just testing the lights prior to closing it all the way)

1593632166249.png

My Dad picked up a Ranger and bought these LED grille insert lights to be similar to the raptor grille not knowing he could get one, found out he could and gave me the bracket with the LED's. The bracket wouldnt work with this grille so I drilled out the holes and inserted the LEDs, I tapped into the parking lights so they are on whenever those are in the on position or locking/unlocking the vehicle.

(hood is fine, was just testing the lights prior to closing it all the way)

View attachment 318281

Got it. Thanks. Nice idea.

Painted the grille FORD letters .
20200705_085424_4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wrapped the hood in stealth black camo and bit hard on the raptor grille.

1595632325253.png

Back