Advice for buying a used 5th gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice for buying a used 5th gen Explorer

newpain01

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT
Hey there, need some advice for buying a 5th gen Explorer.

I've been driving a Honda with 130k miles with 0 issues over the last couple of years, just doing oil changes and brake pads myself, so I am not sure what to expect from the Explorer and need some advice. The wife will be using the Honda and I am looking for something bigger so I can carry stuff, like kayaks on the roof and have enough seats for the whole family, so the Explorer looks like a perfect fit there.

I am reading threads on the forum about issues and heard about the water pump issue on the 5th gen Explorer. I am still in the research phase, but I saw a few 2016-2018 Explorers in my area and trying to understand what to avoid since I would like to keep this vehicle for the next 5-8 years ideally.

I know they had a few different engines for that generation, do they all have the same water pump issue?

How many miles is too many? The ones in my area were all between 90k-140k miles, I am wondering if that's too much. I drive under 10k miles a year.

Prices range from $10k for a 2014 with 140k miles up to $19k for a 2017 with 90k miles - I can't pay more than 20, even that is a stretch, but I like the look on the 2016 and newer models. I've seen some 2016 with 100k miles for under $19k. Are these prices reasonable?

I don't really need 4WD since I am in the south, so I assume 2WD should be more reliable since they have less parts to break?

Appreciate any advice!
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
My first suggestion is to look into getting a Ford ESP warranty. The mileage on the vehicle may have an effect on the type of warranty you can get.
Only the 3.5L and 3.7L V6 engines have an internal water pump. There is a load limit on what you can carry on the roof and it depends on whether there is a moonroof or not. For pre-2016 models it was 100 lb. For 2016+ it is 100 lb without a moonroof and 45 lb with one.
Not being in the U.S., I really don't know much about the used car market regarding prices. I do know that price has gone up significantly in the last year or two because of some parts shortages and also the lack of chips required for certain features to work. Many new vehicles are seeing features deleted because of that. The 2WD has no PTU which eliminates some of the issues that may appear with an AWD.

Peter

Thanks for the advice!

Have you used the Ford ESP warranty? I wasn't able to check price and coverage on their website because it's asking for a VIN and I don't have one. Is that a yearly coverage, like car insurance for example?

I wasn't aware of that load limit, thanks for pointing that out. I will definitely need to go without the moonroof in that case, my two kayaks are somewhere under 100lb together.

How common is that water pump failure?

The water pump issue is only on the Explorers with the 3.5L V6 engine. As to how common it is, it's basically a 'crap shoot'. Some have had it occur under 50K miles while others have gone 100k+ without any problems. Water pump failure leads to dead engine
I have bought the Ford ESP but never had to use them. I lease my vehicles and never keep them longer than 4 years. The current Aviator I have has a 48-month, 80k kilometer (50k mile) warranty so no need to buy an ESP. The ESPs are sold in various configurations including length and mileage. The thing to keep in mind is that they start on the date the vehicle was first put into service. So a 4- month ESP actually only gives you 1 extra year over the standard 36-month factory warranty although you can include 1st-day rental coverage in an ESP.
I believe the load limit has to do with vehicle stability, not the strength of the roof.
You can always get the VIN of one of the vehicles you are looking at. Many members have bought their ESP from Joel. Check out; Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter

Back