• Register Today It's free!

5W-20 motor oil

snipe2

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Limited AWD
Is the 5W-20 motor oil usable in a 1999 5.0 engine? I'm using AMSOIL 10w-30 series 2000 now.
Anyone have info or where I can find info?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you're supposed to use 5W-20 in them.
I think the manual recommends 5W-30 or 10W-30. Some people also run the new 0W-30 that AMSOIL makes. I run AMSOIL 5W-30 now.

IMO, 5W-20 is too thin. I'd stick with the Amsoil 10W-30...

ummmm 5W-20 is NOT what you want to use...
use 5W-30, and i've even seen people use 5W-40 on some occasions. check out using synthetics. i hear you will notice a mpg gain and you can go like 5k before next oil change. it will start up easier in the winter also with synthetics

The 5W-20 is for specific Ford and Honda vehicles. This is their way of trying to squeeze as much fuel mileage out of the vehicle as possible. AMSOIL recently introduced a 5W-20 motor oil to give owners an alternative to the manufacturers' product.

To all of you who are using AMSOIL, THANK YOU!

I would reccomend that you guys do not use 5w-20 oil in your 4.0L SOHCs. Ford has switched to 5w-20 for almost all engines for CAFE gains. The only execption that I know of is the 4.0L SOHC because the valve lifters have problems with it according to the 4.0L Engine Engineering group in Dearborn.

I have 160 k on my engine right now. I have a small leak in a NEW TRANNY, and another small leak that I cant figure out. but anyway, if I switch to synthetic blend, 10w 30 for my oil, will it cause any leaks? Im not going to go straight to synthetic, i will try blend first. will it help milage at all.

Save your money and don't switch to the blend. Most of the blends on the market are actually less than 5% synthetic. You're not going to gain anything. Remember, synthetics don't cause leaks, they just find the ones that were clogged up by the dino oil. Because they flow more easily, they will find all the "holes" the dino oil can't get through.

5w-40?

I hate to beat this oil question to death but any recommendations on using 5W-40 in my 4.0 SOHC? I see Shell Rotella synthetic comes in 5W-40. Anyone have any experience w/ that? Also - anyone have experience w/ the Amsoil synthetic fiber filter?

Back