• Register Today It's free!

AMSOIL synthetic oil??

timfretwell

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I'm coming up on the first oil change(3Kmi) since I bought my 94XLT. I put Castrol 10W-30 in it when I bought it, its what I have always used in everything. But I've read several comments on AMSOIL synthetic since then. Does it really improve gas mileage? I keep my oil clean anyway, so I'm not sure if it would really help. Also, I noticed that my owners manual recommends 5W-30.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, AMSOIL can help improve your fuel mileage. Because it is "slicker", the engine does not have to work as hard. And it will reduce wear so your engine lasts longer. My '95 has increased fuel mileage 17% since I changed the oil, ATF and gear lube to AMSOIL. I have seen 5% to 15% increases with just the motor oil. Please e-mail me if you would like more info or click the link in my signature below.

Hey AgExplorer,

I've heard that switching to synthetics on a new engine can cause "blow-by" before the valves are properly seated. Any truth to this?

It's possible if you switch too soon. We suggest using dino oil for at least 3000 miles before switching to synthetic. This will give everything a chance to seat properly.

AG,

Thanks. Eventually I'll change over all fluids to sythetics. When I do I'll look you up...

Thanks, CHH777. I'm in Houston also. Just shoot me an e-mail. We'll be happy to help you.

Back