• Register Today It's free!

5w30 vs. 10w30 oil

explorinVA

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I was talking to a friend of mine who said he put 10w30 into his X, even though it says 5w30. What's the difference and does it really matter if you put 10w or 5w in it? Just curious

Daniel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it doesn't matter that much on the X. In the winter 5w30 is better though, especially as you go north.

I use 0 deg F as a rule of thumb. If I expect the temperature to go below 0 while the oil's in there (which it likes to do a lot in VT) I throw in 5W-30, otherwise 10W-30

The difference between the two oils is more or less how "thick" the oil is when cold. In a multi-weight oil, the first number is more or less what the viscosity of the oil is when the engine is cold.

In this case, the 5w30 will be thinner when cold than the 10w30.

As stated above, it really only makes a big difference in colder weather.

I personally always run 5w30 in my 5.0 because I seem to get some valve tick when cold if I run 10w30. But, either one should work equally well as long as you aren't in freezing weather.

Yep, I had 10W in mine at the beginning of winter and it definitely had a harder time getting started, and that wasn't even in that cold of weather, just Kansas winter. Quickly switched it back to 5W and I'm sticking with it, the engine just sounds happier with 5.

You can also try the heavier weight, but in full synthetic. I've just recently swtiched to Mobil1 10w30 so I can't say from personal experience in cold temps, but the same weight in a synthetic is supposed to be "thinner" than dino oil. It never drops below the mid teens here so I plan on running the 10w30 year round. So far (about 3000 miles), so good with the synthetic. I also switched 3/4 of the tranny fluid to synthetic and cleaned the TB and the combined effects have given me about 1.5-2 mpg improvement. How much, if any, of the increase is due to the oil? No idea, but it can't hurt and I think I'm staying with the synthetic.

5w30 is great for winter for older trucks and all year round for newer trucks. i use 10w30 for my truck during the summer because it is thicker so it has less tendency to leak out (i have a 92 i got with 130k on the odometer, so god only knows how well the previous owner maintained it) on an older engine which may have leaky seals. but the lighter weight is generally better for starting and gas mileage, esp if you have a new engine.

I recently changed my oil in the X and I used 5w40 synth. Valvoline, is that going to be ok ? Anyone have comment on valvoline?

I run 0w 30 in the hot Florida summers as well as the mild winters.

Works best for me for gas mileage.

My 94, I use 10W40.

I recently gave Shell Rotella 5W/40 synthetic a try in combination with an Amsoil filter. Seems to be fine. Does not leak where the Pennzoil 5W-30 synthetic did, and gives a bit of added protection in summer. Engine is a 4.0 SOCH w/ 105,000 miles. Runs like new. We'll likely keep this vehicle long-term so I figure anything I can do to ease its life, so much the better.

I'll defer to you guys in Florida as the hot weather oil experts!

I use synthetic 10W-30 and it has flow down to -65 degF. I'm not too worried about it's cold weather performance. I've been in the Rockies at less than 0 degF and my truck has never missed a beat up there.

i've always used 5w30 in my Ex so far,

also have 5w30 in the T-bird,

but i always use 10w30 or 10w40 in the F150

Back