6 CD Head Unit Swap???

mercmount04

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello All,
I have an 04 base model Mountaineer that came with a factory single CD head unit. I purchased a used 6 CD Ford head unit with 3 connection ports + the antenna jack. My stock head unit had only 2 connection ports + the antenna jack. I hooked up the 2 that meshed and the 6 CD unit has no sound depth and I assume it's because the unused 3rd connection port was most probably for the sub-woofer/amp. Is there or does Ford make a 6 CD head unit with only 2 connection ports + the antenna jack for vehicles w/o a subwoofer/amp? If so, does anyone know what or which part numbers these would or might be? I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure that the 6-disk HUs came with the "Premium" sound system, meaning that it has the sub and amp.

My '05 XLT has the 6-disk, and it has the sub and amp.

so.......

If I have no prem. sound pkg. or no sub and amp, then there is no factory 6 CD HU and only a sigle CD player HU was available stock? Heard of any bypass wiring harness? Does anyone know of anyway I could use this factory 6 CD HU? Any help would be appreciated or else it's back on Ebay it goes.
Thanks Brad,
Chris

Depends how much work you want to do.

I would say that, if you want to do a full upgrade, you could add the rest of the components from the Premium system, but I'm not sure if you want to do that much work. You'd have to get the sub, amp, interior panel, and harnesses, and run all of the cables back to the sub.

Depends how much work you want to do.

I would say that, if you want to do a full upgrade, you could add the rest of the components from the Premium system, but I'm not sure if you want to do that much work. You'd have to get the sub, amp, interior panel, and harnesses, and run all of the cables back to the sub.

You could always put the stock head unit back in there and just hook up a seperate 6 disc cd changer. I would agree with the statement above, it is alot of work to find the right wires and hard wire it and such. You might just rather keep it simple and purchase an aftermarket subwoofer and cd player.

What if:

I aquired a rear panel sub/amp assy. and the sub out jack for the 3rd port in the back of the 6 CD changer? Could I, with a diagram, achieve my goal or do I need an amp for my stock 4 speaker sytem also? Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Yep, that's exactly what I was suggesting above, if you wanted to upgrade your truck to thie Audiophile system using the in-dash 6-disk HU.

If your setup is the same as the '05 setup (don't have the '04 diagrams, only my '05), then no, the amp only powers the sub. The four speakers still connect directly to the HU. The sub connects separately using the 8-pin connector (only 4 pins actually need wiring).

I have an affordable source for both the panel/sub/amp assy. and the 8 pin jack, both with pigtails. Any chance of getting a copy of that wiring diagram Brad? Aslo, why, if I don't need an amp for the stock speakers, do they have no depth (bass) w/ the 6 CD H.U.? And will an amped sub make all "that" much difference to the overall sound w/ practically no bass at all from the stock 4?
Thanks Again,
Chris

I pulled these diagrams from the 05-06 Ford Service Information DVD (you can download a copy at fordcds.com if you want to be able to use the links and such). They're SVG files, you'll you'll need to download the Adobe SVG Viewer.

Here are all 6 diagrams (base audio and Audiophile): (you may have to right-click, go to "Save target as...", choose "all files" from the drop down, then change the name from "*.xml" to *.svg")

I can't tell you for sure, but on my truck, it sounds like almost all of the bass is coming from the back, so the 6-disk HU may simply not push bass to the door speakers since it's assumed that the Audiophile sub/amp is there.

I can't tell you for sure, but on my truck, it sounds like almost all of the bass is coming from the back, so the 6-disk HU may simply not push bass to the door speakers since it's assumed that the Audiophile sub/amp is there.

Exactly. If you were to use an aftermarket head unit...The bass would be there.

Let us know how everything works out. Good luck. Also if you can, take pictures of your process of every little detail and we might be able to make a sticky out of it.

The audiophile cd player is a "special" piece. From playing with mine I have found that the unit has a built in crossover to keep the low bass from the door speakers. It also has reduces the bass as you turn it up in effort to keep the speaker from distorting. My suggestion. Put it back on ebay. You will probably get enough from the sale to buy a good aftermarket unit, that will put out more power and have more options.

Sorry Brad...

It went on ebay last night. I just wanted a stock looking 6 CD in dash H.U. and didn't want to spend over $200 on it. Didn't work out. Thanks for all your's and everyone else's input.
Chris

It went on ebay last night. I just wanted a stock looking 6 CD in dash H.U. and didn't want to spend over $200 on it. Didn't work out. Thanks for all your's and everyone else's input.
Chris

No problem. I said that in one of my above posts, that you might not want to go through the trouble of the conversion to the Audiophile system.

Back