• Register Today It's free!

6-Speed Manual Conversion

BenRM94

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
I have a 2001 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC with a Getrag MT-82 6-speed manual transmission from a 2011 Mustang GT. It was a great learning project for me, and luckily I had my dad's mechanical expertise to guide me. It took about a month and required a good amount of modification. It's mostly complete, everything works but there are a few things missing (such as reverse lights, custom shifter, and a shift boot). I have been driving it for over half a year now and it's loads of fun. Gear ratios are: 3.66 - 2.43 - 1.69 - 1.32 - 1.00 - 0.65. For comparison, 5r55e auto was 2.47 - 1.86 - 1.47 - 1.00 - 0.75.
I'll try to post some pictures soon. :thumbsup:

(Edit/Update):
Here's a parts/mods list:
-Stock Explorer clutch pedal and master cylinder assembly with custom steel braided clutch line.
-Stock 4.0 SOHC flywheel, clutch, pressure plate.
-Throwout bearing, slave cylinder are stock Mustang and came with the MT82.
-Stock Explorer manual transmission starter.
-Bellhousing adapter plate, Custom pilot bearing and sleeve from a kit: http://themustangsource.com/forums/f670/05-08-4-0-v6-tremec-tr3650-tr6060-adapter-473553/
-Custom transmission mount/crossmember (a piece of unistrut worked temporarily but I wouldn't recommend)
-Custom 1 5/8" shorty headers with custom 2 1/4" Y-pipe to fit around transmission (stock cats).
-Driveshaft came from a junkyard; stock 2006 Explorer/Mountaineer with 4.6 V8 and 6-speed auto (must be a 2006-2011 and must have the 4.6 3V V8). It has the correct flanges on both ends, lightweight aluminum, and has a slip joint. Can be used stock length but not recommended, I had mine shortened approximately 1 inch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome. I wonder if a T-56 would have been an easier swap with less fabrication hmm.

Looking forward to pictures.

Awesome. I wonder if a T-56 would have been an easier swap with less fabrication hmm.

Looking forward to pictures.

Actually the MT-82 was simpler due to having a 23 spline input shaft which matches the M5R1, as well as both transmissions having a hydraulic clutch, but it helped that used MT-82's are dirt cheap and plentiful (paid $900 for mine, including shipping). The biggest reason I decided on this transmission though was the ratios; 3.66 first with 1:1 in 5th gear. 1st-5th are right on top of each other then a nice 6th o/d for cruising. ;)

What's the simplest way to post pictures? It doesn't seem to like me posting them from google drive.... :banghead:

Actually the MT-82 was simpler due to having a 23 spline input shaft which matches the M5R1, as well as both transmissions having a hydraulic clutch, but it helped that used MT-82's are dirt cheap and plentiful (paid $900 for mine, including shipping). The biggest reason I decided on this transmission though was the ratios; 3.66 first with 1:1 in 5th gear. 1st-5th are right on top of each other then a nice 6th o/d for cruising. ;)

What's the simplest way to post pictures? It doesn't seem to like me posting them from google drive.... :banghead:

I use photobucket, then I just copy and paste the IMG code.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Pictures!:

sExterior:
IMAG0035_zps4iqlg6ye.jpg

Stock pedal assembly:
IMAG0039_zpskfijm2xr.jpg

Interior:
IMAG0038_zpszbivwit9.jpg

Shifter's a bit far back, looking into a custom shifter/linkage:
IMAG0037_zpsmjqdrtbj.jpg

Shifter linkage from underneath, driveshaft:
IMAG0044_zpsktxzetys.jpg

Crossmember/transmission mount:
IMAG0040_zpssmimtsqz.jpg

Belly of the tranny, half of the custom y-pipe:
IMAG0041_zpsnd5tcur8.jpg

Engine, adapter plate, transmission:
IMAG0042_zpszqvhpmik.jpg

IMAG0043_zpswfapaxv3.jpg

You're welcome!

Looks really good man!

Thats the only thing about trying to use a manual in the explorers and with or without the center console, it is just hard to make it look totally oem. Even the ones that have pulled it off using the big center opening of the center console, still many times looks a little off.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I bet that 6 gear is really nice to have when cruising out on the highway.

I've pretty much given up on the oem look, I'm thinking along the lines of using the Ranger tray and cup holder setup just to cover where the center console used to meet the center stack. Hopefully someday I'll get a custom shifter that sits further forward, and I'll just slap a nice boot on it.

Something like this:
FordRangerBefore003.jpg

As a bonus, it even has an audio jack that I may be able to hook up... :cool:

The 6th is great. I used to cruise at over 2300 rpm with the 5r55e, 4:10 axle and 30" tires, now it sits nice and calm at 2000.
Fuel economy has increased too, I used to get 17 to 21mpg on a tank (usually in the 19's) depending on driving style, now it's 20 to 23mpg (usually 21's). My best tank so far was 23.13.

I bet that is fun to drive!!!

I do have a couple of questions though...
What did you do to the pcm so it doesn't throw tranny codes...And are you able to get your cruise control to work???

I have a 99 Sport that is just dying for a manual; and I have a v8 that has its name all over the Sport...

Here in Texas my Sport will need to pass inspection and that means no cel... Did you use a programmer to eliminate the tranny in the pcm???

Thanks for a clean install; That is a really good example of a modification done the right way...

I have a 2001 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC with a Getrag MT-82 6-speed manual transmission from a 2011 Mustang GT. It was a great learning project for me, and luckily I had my dad's mechanical expertise to guide me. It took about a month and required a good amount of modification. It's mostly complete, everything works but there are a few things missing (such as reverse lights, custom shifter, and a shift boot). I have been driving it for over half a year now and it's loads of fun. Gear ratios are: 3.66 - 2.43 - 1.69 - 1.32 - 1.00 - 0.65. For comparison, 5r55e auto was 2.47 - 1.86 - 1.47 - 1.00 - 0.75.

(Edit/Update):
-Stock Explorer clutch pedal and master cylinder assembly with custom steel braided clutch line.
-Bellhousing adapter plate, Custom pilot bearing and sleeve from a kit: http://themustangsource.com/forums/f670/05-08-4-0-v6-tremec-tr3650-tr6060-adapter-473553/
-Custom transmission mount/crossmember (a piece of unistrut worked temporarily but I wouldn't recommend)
-Custom 1 5/8" shorty headers with custom 2 1/4" Y-pipe to fit around transmission (stock cats).
-Driveshaft came from a junkyard; stock 2006 Explorer/Mountaineer with 4.6 V8 and 6-speed auto (must be a 2006-2011 and must have the 4.6 3V V8). It has the correct flanges on both ends, lightweight aluminum, and has a slip joint. Can be used stock length but not recommended, I had mine shortened approximately 1 inch.

These guys did an amazing job with the shifter. It's the same transmission as mine but they obviously raised the shifter and brought it much closer to the dash.

ps... I've chirped 3rd occasionally myself :D

I do have a couple of questions though...
What did you do to the pcm so it doesn't throw tranny codes...And are you able to get your cruise control to work???

I have a 99 Sport that is just dying for a manual; and I have a v8 that has its name all over the Sport...

Here in Texas my Sport will need to pass inspection and that means no cel... Did you use a programmer to eliminate the tranny in the pcm???

Thanks for a clean install; That is a really good example of a modification done the right way...

PCM Codes were fixed with an SCT tuner :thumbsup:

Cruise control works fine, just have to make sure not to touch the clutch pedal while using cruise, and turn cruise off to shift. Or shift really fast, because it will rev up with the clutch pushed in and cruise on (cruise is pulling the throttle). With a manual transmission, pressing the clutch is supposed to turn off cruise control just like when the brake is applied, but I haven't hooked up any of that.

And thank you :chug:

PCM Codes were fixed with an SCT tuner :thumbsup:

Cruise control works fine, just have to make sure not to touch the clutch pedal while using cruise, and turn cruise off to shift. Or shift really fast, because it will rev up with the clutch pushed in and cruise on (cruise is pulling the throttle). With a manual transmission, pressing the clutch is supposed to turn off cruise control just like when the brake is applied, but I haven't hooked up any of that.

And thank you :chug:

That doesn't sound to bad. I actually don't even use the clutch pedal to shut off my cruise in my 06 3500 anyways, I use the cancel button on the steering wheel.

Using the cancel button is a little more smoother of a disengagement, where as using the clutch kind of makes the revs jump slightly until the system cancels and feels a little more rough on the truck.

(Edit/Update):
-Bellhousing adapter plate, Custom pilot bearing and sleeve from a kit: 05-08 4.0 V6 Tremec TR3650 / TR6060 Adapter - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
Hey man you still around?? You have any contact info for that adapter plate and what did it cost you

Hey man you still around?? You have any contact info for that adapter plate and what did it cost you

Sorry, I don't come on here very often anymore. As for the adapter plate, I posted a link in the original post to a mustang website. I purchased the tr6060 kit from the guy on there, at the time I think he charged about $700 for it.

Back