6r60 trans - liquid replace without oil pan drop.possible? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6r60 trans - liquid replace without oil pan drop.possible?

Hi! My name is Dan and I am new here but I MAY actually be able to help.

The 6 speed trans in our trucks is based (virtual clone) of the ZF series of automatics used in BMWs and now about every solid automatic on earth. They are either used wholesale (BMW, Chrysler, Genesis and such) or as a licensed variation (Ford, Chevy, Audi and the like).

I got to know them secondary to their use in BMW race cars up to and including their GT4 cars. They are so good that they are gaining WIDE SPREAD acceptance in motorsports and they should be respected for their capability.

Now that this is out of the way.. THANK YOU for taking care of your transmission! The fact that you are doing upkeep means that your truck will likely love you and take good care of you. These transmissions in particular need some love and clean fluid is the #1 way to keep them happy.
With that said, unless you have 250k miles on your truck or you do some VERY heavy use, chances are that you don't have to do fluid swaps more than every few years. Maybe never again unless you are super dedicated as these trucks are not getting any younger.

I have NOT tried to use a fluid extractor but I DO use them as you suggest in other applications. I think the best thing to do is just run that tube down there and see what you can suck out paying attention to how much you get and replacing with the same.

If you are feeling extra sporty, maybe use some Redline or other high end fluid that will make your ZF6 based trans happy.
Good luck and let us know what you find!

Thanks for you vote of confidence for these 6R's. Do you know if any of them have a torque converter drain plug? I'm used to draining all of the fluid at one time, minus what the VB traps above it.

I've already noted the aftermarket pan and dipstick kits for the 6R, they are pricey but I'll do those when I first swap the 6R behind my 302.

No need for RTV, after welding, grind smooth, leak test with a 50/50 mix of trans fluid/mineral spirits. A smoothing application of JB weld will fill any pin holes. Use pipe sealant on the plug. I use permatex high performance thread sealant. Way better than rtv or teflon tape.

If your not confident in your welding skills, take it to an exhaust repair shop or similar.

I have a similar trans in my big Ford F250 and I do not know of any of these that have a drain to let you get the fluid out of the converter.

But for the most part, I am ok with that as just general upkeep and occasional attention seems to make them happy and they live and perform at a high level.

If they were dying I would look more deeply?

I have a similar trans in my big Ford F250 and I do not know of any of these that have a drain to let you get the fluid out of the converter.

But for the most part, I am ok with that as just general upkeep and occasional attention seems to make them happy and they live and perform at a high level.

If they were dying I would look more deeply?

Thanks. At some point when I change engines as a last step, I'll buy an aftermarket converter and make sure it has a drain plug.

Back