6x9" or 6.5" instead of 6x8" Speakers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6x9" or 6.5" instead of 6x8" Speakers

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So I have a question I never thought I'd really have, I last winter bought a Pioneer radio and speaker bundle, I used the radio but never did the door speakers, because they're not 6x8 speakers, however, I managed to grenade my stock speakers, and have these just sitting, so I'm asking out before I sell these on, will either of the sizes work in the place of the stock 6x8s on a 2000 Explorer XLT?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wouldn't take much metal work to get the 6x9 in.

I don't want to cut on the doors or really mod the doors, since selling these wouldn't be THAT hard considering it's Christmas time again soon, plus in the offhand unlikely chance I sold the truck, I'd drop a set of stocks back in.

Pioneer has a vehicle application lookup where you can see what speakers they have that'll fit. It only shows 6x8", up to 2-3/4" depth. Crutchfield also shows only 5-1/4", 5x7, and 6x8.

I doubt you can fit larger without modding the mount and/or making/buying a bracket. However if you mod the door or bracket for a standard size 6.5 or 6x9, you can later swap in something cheaper in that size if you were to sell the vehicle.

So I decided I'd give either set a try, why not, I mean they gotta come close you'd think. They came so close, in fact, here's the eBay link if anybody wants them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/222700975487

Back