75 MM Throttle Body on 5.0 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

75 MM Throttle Body on 5.0 Explorer

compdoc777

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EB, 98 EB, 01 Exped EB
Would I need to get one with EGR or would I not need it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SilverBullet said:
Depends on your emissions testing in Texas, I would say.

I can get away with just about anything.

its the dirty south for a reason!

South carolina, North Carolina (except for raliegh and charlotte), Georga (except for Savanaha and atlanta)

aint no need for no emissions

straight pipes anyone?

75mm will be too large for an Explorer 302 which is not very radical.

If you read a few hundred Mustang magazines, you will learn that 65mm is basically the best all around size for the EFI 302's with moderate modifications, say below 350 HP. If you add 1500 RPM, or 50 cubic inches, then a 75mm would be a good idea.

Isn't stock a 65mm already? Remember that the MAF is typically bigger on normal to moderate engines. You may gain two or three horsepower at 5000RPM, but you will lose more than that at low RPM.
DonW

Also keep in mind the 90 degree elbow is 65mm ID, so a larger throttle body isn't going to help that much. When I got my Accufab, I bolted it to the elbow, opened the throttle plate and looked right at the 5mm edge all the way around the opening where the TB and elbow meet. I eventually made a custom 90 degree elbow with a 75mm ID, but the effort involved and the benefit are questionable. The stock elbow can only be opened a few mm, not enough to gain true benefit of 75mm TB.

just mo $0.02

tmsoko said:
Also keep in mind the 90 degree elbow is 65mm ID, so a larger throttle body isn't going to help that much. When I got my Accufab, I bolted it to the elbow, opened the throttle plate and looked right at the 5mm edge all the way around the opening where the TB and elbow meet. I eventually made a custom 90 degree elbow with a 75mm ID, but the effort involved and the benefit are questionable. The stock elbow can only be opened a few mm, not enough to gain true benefit of 75mm TB.

just mo $0.02

So do you think a 70mm would be better or work?

The only person I've ever known to do this is Troll. It has to be custom because the way the throttle cable pulls the plate open.

I havea 75mm and a buddy on RPS has a 75mm as well. Aside from making a larger 90 degree elbow, all you do is cut the ball stud and part of the throttle arm off the stock throttle body and weld it onto the new one. Toughest part is getting it in the position you want it to fit like stock.

compdoc777 said:
So do you think a 70mm would be better or work?
No. Stock is 65mm. For the cost and work it would take it would not be worth it just to gain 5mm.

You never did say, but what mods have you done and what do you plan to do?

james t said:
No. Stock is 65mm. For the cost and work it would take it would not be worth it just to gain 5mm.

You never did say, but what mods have you done and what do you plan to do?

Basically adding all the cobra mods, E303 CAM, springs, 1.7 roller rockers, Cobra Intake and, torque Monster headers, rocker rollers, 24lbs injectors, cobra maf, MAC CAI, MAC catback. 70 mm TB maybe.

You wont need it, the stock 65mm will work fine with that setup.

I agree with James. Magazines had long ago tested and decided that 99% of the Mustangs out there should have 65mm throttle bodies. For the same parts, the same throttle body size would be best. That's why Ford uses the same sizes of MAF, throttle body, and fuel pump.

The Explorer is about 1000 pounds heavier than a Mustang. If you add all of the Mustang higher RPM parts, it will sound like a Mustang, but the low end power will be worse.

The 96-2001 Explorer operating system is the best Ford has ever made for pushrod engines. It is much better than the Mustang EECIV systems. Explorers have the best parts already for low RPM power, except for the exhaust. After opening up the exhaust, and maybe a PCM tuning, any improvements should be aimed at making the engine bigger. Either bore it, stroke it, or supercharge it. Raising the RPM band will hurt low end performance. Good luck,
DonW

Agreed, good heads, exhaust, cam are what you need. MAF and TB will make marginal gains (maybe losses to seat of pants in lower RPM). No need to change manifold, as the Explorer is nearly identical to Cobra you listed above.

Back