• Register Today It's free!

8.8 axles will drum work in disc?

MdntRanger50

Reaction score
City, State
Cenla, La.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Ranger 2wd 5.0L 4r70w
Hi guys, my first post here. I frequently post on the mustang and ranger boards. I have searched everywhere but have not found an answer to my question. I recently purchased a totaled (wrecked down pass. side) '96 explorer V8 for the engine and transmission. The truck has sat for 4-5 yrs. The engine runs great now after tinkering with it. I would like to test the transmission but the pass side axle was bent in the wreck. My question is will an 31 spindle 8.8 axle from a earlier drum brake setup work in one with disc brakes? From my findings the passenger axle for disc is 27 13/16 and for drum is 27 3/4 long, a difference of .0625" The wrecking yards in my area do not have any explorer disc 8.8's but there are quite a few drum brake units around. The axle tube end is also distorted about .030 in the bearing area so I will not be using this rearend just trying to get it where I can run it down the back road by my house to test and make sure the transmission is going to shift out and work right before pulling everything out. Oh and the rear brakes will be disabled anyways as the backing plate on that side is broken.

Thanks
James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my research, the answer is no. I wanted to use the c-clip eliminator axles for a newer X on my drum brake X. Axle length was one of the issues.

I've bought axles and other misc parts from "ericautopart" on this forum. He is a vendor here (new parts)

For used parts you can try Kbabiak, another EF vendor (used parts).

Ped5Stang is also an EF vendor for used parts..

complete vendor list is here.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160480

EDIT: I just noticed your in CA.. check out the for sale forum here.
for example. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246455

~Mark

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if a drum axle would work without any brake components on that side (other than the rotor) since I will have the rear brakes disabled anyways. Just so it will roll and hold gear oil so I can test the transmission.

Well I pulled a drum axle form the wrecking yard and have it in the rearend now without the backplate or caliper on, just the rotor. I have to buy some gear oil to put in it before my test drive.

Had the test drive today. Axle worked great, without the brakes on that side of course. I dont know if it would work with the disc brake setup. I would try it if I had the parts to fix the damaged brake components.

Back