'85 Ranger base model A4LD automatic tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'85 Ranger base model A4LD automatic tranny

jeffreyamangold

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lick
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 Ranger Base Model
Just want to put new clutchplates in my A4LD auto tranny on my '85 Ford Ranger. Is there a how to video on this site?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

85 with a 2.8L should have a C5 automatic ifit is a 4wd

not a4ld, a4ld started in 86-87 behind the 2.9L
I would RATHER HAVE A C5 then a a4ld
c5 is a 4x4 version of the c4
The c4 is a 3 speed auto

You can rebuild them to be very tough

Welcome.

410Fortune, Mike65, thanks for the welcome. I appreciate that. The '85 Ranger is a 2 wheel drive 2.3. I can't afford to get another or new tranny. I bought a kit with new clutchplates but no bands. It started slipping badly in reverse, and almost immediately started slipping in all the forward gears. Figured it had to be the clutchplates. $130 for the clutchplate kit by Pioneer. Don't have a choice. My wife died a week ago and the household income is cut in half. Money and time are a problem. I've wrenched on just about everything in my life, but not an auto tranny. Never had to attempt it. It's a tad bit intimidating, lol. I would have someone do it for me, if I could get away with the cost at $200, but I don't think I'll have much luck there. I'll look around Monday. Maybe I'll get lucky. If not, I'll have to do it.

Oh man, so sorry for the loss of your wife.

I believe 410 is correct about the trans in an 85 being a c5 and not an a4ld. But it’s possible someone swapped one in at some point in the trucks life.
Have you done a positive ID on which one you have?
Did you already buy parts for an a4ld?

Hmm, maybe you do have an a4ld, according to this chart
BEADDB3E-81EE-47E1-A299-FA86435D6DC4.png

Back