$853 manual trans flywheel???

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
well, i was all ready to start tearing things apart and ordering parts and start installing my manual transmission till i went to the dealership today.

what the parts guy told me: that ford recently changed the flywheel to a "dual mass flywheel" which is extra extra heavy duty (diesel engine heavy duty) and will run me $853 and this is the only flywheel they sell for the 4.0's from now on!!! now, this was just the first part i tried to order out of many!!!

plus, he also noted that i am looking at thousands of individual parts. he's also sceptical that it would even work in the first place. being the second person to bring this up including my uncle, he reminded me that engines are "counter balanced" to the flywheel. i'm assuming since many have performed this on their OHV's on the website, that i wasnt going to see this a problem.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? i am absolutely determined to put a manual transmission in. i'm assuming as of now, that there are no aftermarket substitutes, such as AA. i saw on rangerpowersports that their is a T5 adapter from "central coast mustang" but its debatable whether it would fit any easier and i cant find much more information about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what are you trying to do? convert from auto to 5 speed?

Its not that hard...or expensive, you just need a donor.

dont ge me worng its not easy but you are not going to need a $900 flywheel.......

yeh, hes tryin to go from the 5r55e to an MR51 or MR51-HD (im guessin) like 410 said, its not that hard cause i know that JoshC did it on his X and it wasnt that hard.

yea, i know its not that hard. but remember, JoshC and others have an OHV, not a SOHC. this does throw some twists in there.

1. Computer. its easy to change from an auto computer to a manual computer for an OHV, cuz you can just get your year computer but with a manual. keep in mind the computer needs to be made for both the engine and the transmission. i have a '99 SOHC. ford did not make manual transmissions for a SOHC motor until 2001. hence, there is not such thing as a '99 SOHC manual transmission computer for my car. I am hoping that there is no problem using a 2001 SOHC computer for my '99.

2. the transmissions are slightly different. the regular M5OD-R1 meant for the OHV's is barely strong enough for the stock SOHC. there is a heavy duty version, M5OD-R1HD for the SOHC, which I just got a hold of. does this mean any other parts are different than the OHV's?

well, what you guys have said leads to my main problem. DONOR VEHICLE. i live in NYC so i know nothing about finding donor vehicles or in that fact finding anything for cars besides 22" rims and 12" subwoofers. i have checked the "largest self serve junk yard in the world" in pennsyvania and a much smaller junk yard near philadelphia. i cant seem to find a donor vehicle anywhere. anyone know any info on this.

Try searching on www.car-part.com for the parts you need. I just did a search on a 2001 Explorer MT flywheel and found several listed from $25 to $85.

EDIT: I also just checked at www.parts.com, and they had a new flywheel for the 2001 SOHC at a list price of $87.02 (and a for sale price of $67.01), so it sounds like your parts guy must have skipped school the day they discussed decimal points.

thats what im saying! i checked a parts site too, maybe the same and it said basically the same thing on sale for $66. but still:

$66 flywheel
$167 starter
$69 clutch
$85 pressure plate
$58 slave cylinder/throwout bearing
$66 master cylinder
i also have $12, $24, and $72 for something i dont recognize
$64 hydraulic tubes
plus i need pedals, support bracket, shifter, bushings, bearings, switch, bearings, bolts, nuts, washers, who knows.

and all of this are those sale prices. which i dont like to trust cuz i have no originals to compare to to make sure they fit, so when something goes wrong i wont recognize what part is the wrong part, so i rather order straight from the dealer

all this is expensive, which i will live with if i have to, but where can i find a donor, how hard is it, it seems really really rare to me.

im starting to get pressed for time, meaning i really need this done before sept

here are my reasons for not trusting all those part sites:

1. they all end up being the same site. cart-part.com, parts.com, newfordparts.com, any ford part site you find will end up having the same exact search engine

2. why are all the OHV parts (especially the clutch components) more expensive than the SOHC parts which should be more durable if at all different???

3. the 'reservoir' and 'hydraulic lines' for the 2001 sporttrac is labeled for OHV. 2001 sporttracs didnt come with OHV's, only SOHC's

4. you got $87.02 (retail) and $67.01 (sale) for a 2001 SOHC flywheel from www.parts.com. i got $87.02 (retail) and $67.88 (sale) just now. a couple months ago i got $66 (sale). i know its not much of a difference but i guarantee if we both check it again in a few days it will be slightly off again. why do companies do this??? this seams to happen on a lot of sites and it really pisses me off!!! everytime you check a price it changes by a couple of cents or dollars.

5. they list slave cylinder and release bearing as different things and different prices. arnt they the same thing? maybe they mean the slave cylinder in the pedal? but i just dont think this part site is accurate

6. how come you can search by part number (which doesnt seem to work anyway) but when you search by the car and the part, they dont give you anywhere the part number?

i dont trust the part sites, i dont trust pep boys, and i dont trust people on the phone. and now im losing trust in the parts department at ford. i get a completely different answer at every dealership im at. its just frustrating having to deal with untrustworthy sources especially when dealing with an extremely rare set of parts. its not like these are '92 mustang manual parts.

ive been *****ed out at one dealership telling me "this isnt a library" and now i got this new parts guy who seems very patient and helpful telling me its "policy" not to give me part numbers and also telling me the only flywheel i can buy is $853. i called Computerized Publications Display, which is the company of the parts software program at the dealerships so i can do this research myself, but they wont give me the program. im ready to spend a couple thousand dollars on parts from ford, but they refuse to make it easier for me and their parts guys, why cant they just give me the stuff, ill find the part numbers, and give them a nice list of everything i need, and heres my money, peace?

Mabey you should try using one of those ford service CDs?
How new is this new flywheel?

I can tell you that it may not be the web site that changes the prices, For the hell of it.

See i'm trying to sell online. My price changes go with the prices that I pay wholesale. Dealing with 3 wholesale warehouses trying to get the best prices. I pay more, you pay more... When I pay less I try to pass the lower price on To the buyer.
Hope this helps

you got $87.02 (retail) and $67.01 (sale) for a 2001 SOHC flywheel from www.parts.com. i got $87.02 (retail) and $67.88 (sale) just now. a couple months ago i got $66 (sale). i know its not much of a difference but i guarantee if we both check it again in a few days it will be slightly off again. why do companies do this??? this seams to happen on a lot of sites and it really pisses me off!!! everytime you check a price it changes by a couple of cents or dollars.

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...&make=10&model=Explorer&year=2001&catalogid=1

Pulled that from Ford Parts Network. Doesnt seem to be anywhere near $875

If you have a list of parts send it off to Torrie and see what he can do. These would be NEW Ford parts. He has sent me the exploded views of parts locations also, which I could call out the parts I needed and he would put part numbers to them and price them out. You may be able to get some information that way- I would support him if he does that for you since the dealers in your area dont want to make a sale to you- with lack of access and inflated prices.

Good Luck

i think you guys are missing the point of the 875 dollar flywheel from ford....that is what ford is carrying....ford is not the almighty parts god....there are still the aftermarket parts which is what the web sites are selling....now....with that said....the dealerships dont know squat....ford however knows what they are doing and if they change a part i would use what they say...just dont buy it from the dealer...try to find it aftermarket....here comes everyones favorite three letter word
BUT...you may not be able to find it aftermarket cause ford may have designed a new piece from scratch to replace their current flywheel inventory.....that could explain the 875 dollar price tag...they want the customer to eat their design and inventory replacement cost...see they know what they are doing...mechanically and finantially:D

Back