86 Ranger STX 4x4 in need of advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

86 Ranger STX 4x4 in need of advice

Jasexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
Hi, i just bought a 1986 ford ranger 4x4. I also have a 1991 Ford Explorer 4x4 that is currently not runnin. What i intend to do is put the axles, trans., transfer case, and seats from my explorer into this ranger. What are your opinions on this as far as bolt up ability and what not. O yea they're both 5 spds but the ranger has touch drive and the explorer has a manual range selector.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it shouldnt be too bad... not sure about the tcase and tranny swapping over, but rockranger had a d35 up front on his old ranger.....

Everything should swap over without a problem. For the seats you will need to swap over the ranger tracks onto the explorer seats. On the rear end I think the leaf springs are in a different location. You'll need to weld on spring perches to the top of the axle tubes unless you do a spring under, and your right rear shock will interfere with your exhaust, if I remember right. The D35 will bolt straight over. I can look tomorrow about the rear end differences as I am running a complete 93 explorer drivetrain under my 90 Ranger (with the exception of trans & t-case).

wow i appreciate all the help. Yea i guess i would need to do spring over on the rear since thats the way it is on the ranger right? Also, should i switch all the springs over or should i keep the ones that are already on the ranger. Will this add any lift at all?? Thanks again.

the 8.8' swap will give you about 1-1.5" of lift. I would use the explorer rear springs, because when I did my 8.8" swap I started with the stock Ranger springs and after about 2 months of driving I started throwing u-joints left and right. The Ranger springs are just too soft. By adding the explorer springs with the 8.8" you'll get around 3" or so of lift. You might as well use the explorer front coils also. It should help level it out.

will there need to be any fabrication done to swap out the leaves on these vehicles??

no

I have Ranger leafs on my BII and before then I had 4 door Explorer leafs on my BII.

My Bronco II was basically a 93 Explorer with a 97 Explorer rear axle before I ripped all that out and went V8.
Your Gen I Ex and Ranger are almsot identical, EXCEPT for the width of the frame rails behind the cab, in the Explorer the leafs are under the frame rails where your Ranger they are outboard, also the Ranger is sopring over not spring under.
Other then that basically everything bolts up.

Driveshafts lengths I belive are different. Check the length of the ranger and Explorer transmissions. They might be the same length but I am not sure off the top of my head. If the transmissions are the same length then the front shaft from the explorer should beable to be used. If you swap in the exploer transfer case in you have to use the explorer front driveshaft. For the rear you will have to mod the rear driveshaft. On my old 86 it used a smaller flange then an explorer does. The explorer rear driveshaft will probably have to be lengthened or shortened depending on which ranger and exploer models you have.

On a second thought that manual shift tcase from the explorer is junk. You should just send it to me to dispose of properly. :D

Matt is correct, anytime you change drivetrains you can expect driveshaft modifications, at least to the rear. However if both are 5 speed and 4x4 then the overall length and position of the trans mount should be identical given these years, but the ranger is longer then the Exploder from T case to rear axle.

Jasexplorer said:
you tryin to snag my t-case foo??

Manual shift Tcases from explorers and 90ish and up rangers are a little hard to find. They are a BW 1354. The have a fixed front output and the planitaries have 6 gears. The BW 1350 which is what is in your 86 has a slipyoke front output shaft and uses 4 gears in the planitaries. Besides the fact taht the electric shifts are known to be a bit questionable on the reliability.

I was just joking with you about snagging your tcase.

Hey now only the shift motor itself is questionable not the entire case!

how do you go about modding a driveshaft, should i make a front slip shaft out of square tubing??

You could do that on the cheap, but its goin to be next to impossible to balance it properly. You can just take into a reputable driveline shop and have them shorten/extend your driveshaft for about $100.

so the 86 was having some severe engine issues and it was more money to maintain than i wanted to spend on it so i ditched it for a 91 2wd ranger extended cab, but im still doin the swap on it but this looks like it could get harry b/c it only has a 4cyl engine and i dont know if the trans can be swapped with the explorer or even if the transfer case can be put on the existing trans but we will soon see.

can anyone tell me abuot the bolt patterns on each trans and if they will match up, i'm goin down to VA beach tomorrow to pick up my explorer so i will be starting this project the day after that.

so i got my explorer up here last night. tomorrow i'll try to post up some pics of the explorer and the truck its all gettin swapped to. Hopefully be able to get a lil start tomorrow. but yea.

alright, jasexplorer is my g/f's sn on here so... just for the record. Well, the front axle of the explorer is all but off all i have to do is take off the u-joint and it'll be ready to roll. Sorry i dont have any pics yet but my g/f's camera is at work and she hasnt brought it home yet so... be lookin forward cause i will have pics soon. so yea, take it easy

I'm sorry that this went from an advice thread to a project type thread. Well, the d35 swap didnt work out so i think i'm gunna try to trade my explorer for the front and rear axles/traction bars out of a grand cherokee. I was wondering if you guys think i could run a 35 inch tire on those axles, i think they are dana 30's. Well thanks yall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back