• Register Today It's free!

87 bronco 2 help

ddoster

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987Bronco 2
hi i got a 87 bronco 2 5 speed driving project its got 2.9 i would like to shoot but i like the truck how hard is a 302 to swap will a 302 bolt up to the stock 5 speed thats in it any one who can help it would be asome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

will a 302 bolt up to the stock 5 speed thats in it
I'm not 100% certain, but I'm reasonably certain it won't.

One thing I am certain of, even if it could bolt up, that 5 speed (probably a TK5, though it could be either of the Mitsubishi transmissions) wouldn't hold up very long to the torque of a V8.

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm reasonably certain it won't.

One thing I am certain of, even if it could bolt up, that 5 speed (probably a TK5, though it could be either of the Mitsubishi transmissions) wouldn't hold up very long to the torque of a V8.

Correct on both counts. It will not bolt up and your trans wouldnt handle a v8 if it would. The m5od was put in the explorers behind the 4.0 and also in broncos and f150's with a diff bellhousing and it is pretty marginal. Stout behind the v6's though

thank u very much

thank u guys im now looking for a complete motor trany trans set thanks for the info any sugesstions on what i should look for for it because the 2.9 in it has been a night mare to keep running

In my build I've got a 302 with a C4/C5 hybrid. And it's taken the test of time and use.
Make sure about the tooth count on the flex plate. If I remember correctly they have a 164 and a 157 tooth. Then make sure the engine plate that goes between bellhousing and block matches or the starter won't bolt up. Of course use the right starter also.
For a donor I used a 1980 or might have been an 81 Merc Cougar for the 302, bellhousing and the engine plate. C4 came from a friend that I bought it off of that was in a 302 Mustang.

4.0, its a hell of an engine in my rig, I'm severely undergeared when I'm not shifted into double low and it will still light both back tires up, I'm locked with 35's. simple swap really, it will bolt right in and then requires some wiring. very simple wiring, hell I figured it out, and I'm half not there 80% of the time

Back