• Register Today It's free!

'87 Bronco 2 4x4 issue

Chargers21

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
So i bought an 87 bronco 2 5 speed with the locking hubs for 600 bucks, starts runs and drives just fine. Just a hunting rig. When i bought it i tested the 4 wheel drive and it worked great, shifted really smooth with no problems. I put my old 31 inch tires on it for a little extra clearance and now when I'm in 4 wheel drive its fine in first but bogs down and wants to die right when i shift into second. is this because of the bigger tires? or a problem with the four wheel drive? any help is appreciated.

Yeah, Might not have enough tires/gearing to turn the larger wheels. Try low range and see if it still happens. Or if you still have the old tires, swap them back on for a test.
What size engine does it have? What are the axle gears? Look for the axle code on the door jamb if you don't know...

Is your username a reference to Tomlinson?

Yeah ill have to put the old tires back on see what happens, i think their like 26s their really small. haven't tried it in low yet I"m taking it out tomorrow ill find out if it works then. Its the 2.9 EFI with the 3.73 limited slip.

Yeah that's about Tomlinson, greatest running back ever.

Back