91, cuts out and bucks under 30mph/2000rpm | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91, cuts out and bucks under 30mph/2000rpm

Bad MAF will do it...Glad it runs well...amazing how many "new parts" are defective...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, bad thing happened. I go out to start it and nothing, Battery dead. I get a jump and within a mile the headlight flash bright and blow out and then the truck just dies. So now I'm in the middle of the road with a black truck, I'm wearing black(for work, don't ask) at night with no power for even a flasher. Wife comes and jumps it again. Headlights are out I try Hi beams and the go on for a second and blow out. Also the original sputtering at low speed is back. I'm losing it with this truck. 190,000 miles and that looks like it's all she wrote.

you need to check how many volts your alternater is charging asap, sounds like it's over charging, would does your battery gauge say on the dash when your running it?

It is generally in the middle of the gage and slightly to the right. It does "bounce" a little and the lights would pulse but only noticeable if your are looking for it. This is the third alt since I bought the truck in 2000. Its an autozone cheapo alt. The battery was down because I was using the 'sploder to charge/jump my project car on Saturday. I just shut the truck off without letting it charge. It did start back up when the wife jumped it but the damn sputtering is back. I just parked it and took the wifes car to work. Strong ozone smell when it went out. I hope I didn't fry the electronics. I'll be real pissed if the MAF i just bought got toasted.

x2 on the alt....

If you get another alternator and you have the same problem, i would check the volts on the hot wire in your connector that snaps in the alternator, not the large one that is held on with a nut, but the one in the connector that snaps, that wire is one where the alternator senses the electrical load in the vehicle, I had a similar case on a chevy, one in ahwile it would run around 19 volts, sombody rewired it and it had a bad connection where somtimes it would only show 7 to 8 volts on that hot wire in the connector, so the alternator thinks the vehicle is under a heavy load so it opens up the regulator. just a thought

The thing I don't understand is why it idles and revs without a hiccup. I can even floor it in reverse and go like a bat out of hell. But, put her in drive and it cuts out and stalls. I did get CEL code #14. I changed out the ICM. Now I get NO trouble codes at all, but it still won't drive.

Well the problem is gone. I did 4 things and don't know exactly which fixed it for sure. First I rerouted the ground wire that runs from above the solenoid to the frame. I moved the wiring harness on the passenger frame rail back from the manifold. I re taped the lighting harness where it crosses the ICM. Lastly I cleaned the positive wires at the battery and replaced the clamp. Probably was the positive wire to the battery but I can't say for sure. It runs like new. Starts regardless of temperature and now stalling or cutting out.
Thank you to everyone who offered their help.

Back