• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer 4x4

justus124

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4x4
I have a 91 Ford Explorer 4x4 that when and if it starts it doesnt want to stay running I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, mass air flow sensor, idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, computer brain. When it does start it idles rough and dont stay running for long. There are no computer codes stored in the computer. While trying to start it the entire top end of the motor (all the sensors) are hot to the touch. The truck dont run hot just the sensors get hot. any help would be greatly apriciated

What led up to the failure? Did it gradually get worse or fail all at once?

You stated there are no stored (CM) codes, but are there any KOEO or KOER codes?

I would recommend not throwing parts at the problem - that will just cause frustration. Sometimes it is a simple fix or even something you did yourself.

Check that your plug wires are going to the right places. You can also check for arcing by looking under the hood at night - in the dark you can see arcs with the engine running if there's ignition wire damage. Arcs will cause all kinds of problems.

A possibility - Sounds like the computer has no idea where the engine is at - perhaps it is not reading timing properly. Two main sensors for this are CKP (crank position sensor, at harmonic balancer and easy to change), and the more notorious CMP/CPS (cam position sensor). The cam position sensor unfortunately is a pain to remove; Ford service manual says to remove engine to get at it, but there may be another way if you search the forum.

We didnt throw parts at it. The parts we replaced were coded repairs that needed to be repaired. If there are no codes then there are no codes wheter the engine is running or not. I have no codes period.

Back