• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer 5 Speed

Sproctor

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Well, looks like my tranny went out. I have a 91 4x4 XLT with a manual 5-speed. What do you think my best bet is? Only have a few options I guess. 1) Have this one rebuilt. 2) Go find another at a junk yard 3) Find a company that sells already re-built ones and put it in.

Suggestions guys?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A 5-speed is a lot better than the automatic with that year truck. Is the whole manual tranny shot, or just the clutch? It's a lot cheaper to replace just the clutch than the whole unit. If the whole thing is worn out, ask an honest mechanic, they'll tell you if you should have it rebuilt or buy a rebuild.

Yea tranny is gone, already been looked at. Little over $1000 to fix at the dealer. Clutch is new, been replaced already.

If you check ebay there are several companies that sell remanufactured gear boxes for about $800 to 900 + core and shipping. I have found a remanufactured unit from Advance for $1500. I would be suspious of the dealer fixing it for $1000. That is to little for anything except fixing a minor problem. You are looking at at least $600 to $800 labor to drop and repalce the transmission. That does not count any repair to the transmission. I think the rebuild kit is about $400. A single gear costs about $150 to $175. When mine broke the third gear or syncronicers got out of round and caused the gear to crack around the shaft. That repair which included third gear and 2 sycronicers was about $1000. That was not at a dealer, which are typically 25% more than independent shops.

I blew my manual tranny also, lost all forward gears except 5 and reverse (might have had 4th too). The first gear on the jack shaft litterly blew apart taking a couple other ones with it. I got my rebuilt tranny at a local pull a part yard...it is a totally rebuilt tranny NOT something they pulled off a junker and resold and I think we paid around 900 bucks or so with a warentee, which we used since the top they put on leaked. It's been 7 months and have no problems at all.

Good Luck
CP

5 speed

Here's a place i bought mine at it a refurbished one but i have over 10000 mile on it now and still runs strong. I only paid 650.00 for it with a core charge of only 250.00 and he split the shipping and it only cost me 50.00, for a total of 950.00 and got back 250.00 when i shipped it back the old one, and if you have a junk ones he'll buy them off of you too.

Here's the ph# 1-888-880-4403
Western Transmission Center
www.westtc.com

Thanks Alnrosm,

I will give them a call can check it out. That sounds like a pretty good deal since I have no problem doing the install myself.

Back