• Register Today It's free!

91 X not starting when cold out

rddogg

Reaction score
City, State
joliet, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
911- my X won't start when it's cold outside. Its my only car so I need to fix.
It starts fine when its warmer out. I go to start and all I hear is the solenoid thats on the side by the battery. I turn key I hear the relay click and then the fuel pump for a couple seconds then I turn the key and the solenoid clicks and thats it. Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1st thing I'd check would be the battery connections -- make sure they are clean and tight.

I might also have it tested. Cold weather is the hardest for a battery -- it might just be on its last legs -- can no longer hold enough juice for those cold mornings.

X2

Also, old exploders are known for having the green death in their battery cables.

Its a brand new battery. Why will it not start when cold outside but start like a new car when its warm.

Green death = corrosion
Clean all your contacts, inspect your battery cables, if they look good try bypassing them when you experience the no start problem. If it starts easily then you need to replace that cable. It is harder to turn over the engine when cold, oil is thicker, etc.

how do I bypass the cables. It doesnt start every day unless its a little warmer out. When it first happened i tried to jump it and it didnt work. TY

You "bypass" the cables by putting on different cables. You can also test the cables with an ohmmeter (there should be next to 0 ohms resistance).

It hasn't been suggested, but I could also see a dying starter doing this. You might try tapping the starter next time it won't start.

You "bypass" the cables by putting on different cables. You can also test the cables with an ohmmeter (there should be next to 0 ohms resistance).

It hasn't been suggested, but I could also see a dying starter doing this. You might try tapping the starter next time it won't start.

+1, my dad's explorer has this same problem and we have concluded it is because the armature is pretty well burnt out.

That is what it sounds like to me. This past summer my starter died on my explorer and all it did was make the starter solenoid click several times.

My money is on the starter. But it could also be the cables, they do get pretty nasty over time when it comes to the green corrosion on the copper lines.

I would check battery terminals, then cables, but if you have checked those I would tap on the starter while someone turns the key..if it starts its probably the brushes in the starter. Sometimes you have just enough brushes left to start when warm but they contract just enough not to make good contact when cold,not to mention the extra strain when cold.

Back