91 X runs but dies when put in gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 X runs but dies when put in gear

dougtonia

Reaction score
City, State
Craig, Alaska POW Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
90'
I just got a 91 explorer for free. It will start and idle fine but as soon as you put it in gear it dies. Doe anyone know why it would do this??? Please help. :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got a 91 explorer for free. It will start and idle fine but as soon as you put it in gear it dies. Doe anyone know why it would do this??? Please help. :roll:

even if you rev it and put it in gear?

Maybe fuel regulator

If it's an automatic, perhaps the torque converter is stuck locked. This happened to me once, engine dies when put in gear as the converter is locked and won't let the engine rev when in gear. Somehow it went away and never happened again since....knock on wood!!

I agree with pugsy. Happened to me also.

similar thing was happening to me just not as severe, turns out it was a bad ignition relay. maybe its and electrical problem?

Weird. How does it die? does it shake rattle and not roll? or does it just shut right off. might give some insight as to the problem....

Welcome to this forum! You can easily check the TCC solenoid to see if that is the problem by unplugging the 3 wire harness on the driver's side of the transmission. Did you check your IAC solenoid?

Back