• Register Today It's free!

Gibson or Magnaflow? Discuss

dave d dizzo

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer SportTrac XLT
Well, the first "big" mod I am going to knock out is a new exhaust. On my 08 ST, I have narrowed it down to either a Gibson Exhaust for about $360 or the Magnaflow for about $400.

Pros? Cons? Preferences? Discuss!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the Magnaflow but the Gibson I put on mine bolted up perfectly. Took it to my friend's shop so I could put it on a lift and it only took us about a half hour to install. Only problem was that we had to find some shorter bolts for the converter flange, which was not a big deal. The pipe is larger, so clearance around the rear diff is a bit tight and you'll have to play around with it until it doesn't hit anything. I ended up cutting quite a bit off the end of the tailpipe so you couldn't see it inside the chrome tip.
If I keep my speed down to 65 I pick up 3 mpg on the highway with it.

Magnaflow, fit perfect with all the right parts the first time. Tip is welded on and exits just behind the left rear wheel. No cutting to hide stuff. 100% stainless steel.

Well I made my own exhaust for 140 bucks I bought a magnaflow muffler 70.00 and SS tubing which my friend cut to fit 70.00. Cut out the resonator and the muffler and welded in the new muffler. This of course was with free labor from my buddy. It sounds awesome I am very pleased.

Damn! One Gibson, One Magnaflow and one semi-homemade! Tough choices! Thanks for the inputs. Anyone else?

Count it as 2 home done!

I have an Adrenalin (Different Exit, rear vs side)

I bought the Flowmaster 50series SUV and LOVE it! Welded that in place of my Stock Muffler and had a Straight pipe put in place of the Resonator!

Sound clip on my Cardomain SIte (SEE SIG BELOW)

I have the V6 and run the Gibson. It has been great and I too see about 3 mpg gain at 65 mph. I get compliments on the sound all the time. I am partial to MagnaFlow as that is what I ran on my '03 Cobra and love the smooth sound, but the Gibson is right on par. Quality of both is A1 and IMO Gibson may have an edge, small one though. Here are a few pics:

CIMG1482.jpg

CIMG1488.jpg

CIMG1499.jpg

CIMG1503.jpg

I'm pretty much the only person who drives my Trac so I don't know what it sounds like on the outside, but my son took it the other day and it did have a nice rumble as he drove away.

Gibson for me as well. I like the tone better on the V6 than the other brands.

I'm not partial to either brand though, for the record. I chose the Gibson purely based on noise and tone... I have numerous V8 cars and trucks in addition to my ST, and they are all equipped with DynoMax exhausts.

Last I looked, the Gibson cost a crapload less than the Magnaflow too.

That is because the Magnaflow is Stainless Steel and the Gibson is some aluminized something or another.

Gibson offers both stainless (pricey) and aluminized steel (cheaper). Magnaflow is only stainless as far as I know. I lease my trucks so I didn't bother with the stainless. I washed my system with Dawn, roughed it up with some sandpaper, and painted it with silver hi-temp paint. Still looks like new after a year. The OE exhaust was less than 3 months old when I pulled it off and it was already covered in rust.

So we do not confuse later readers. Let's compare apples to apples. Magnaflow part # 16606 from autoanything.com 484.35. Gibson part # 619692 from autoanything.com 520.95. So exactly which one was a crapload less? Unless you want to compare oranges? Gibson part # 319692 aluminized something or another from autoanything.com 361.95.

These part numbers are for my application of a 2006 Limited with the 4.6 V8.

The stainless Gibson is still cheaper than the stainless Magnaflow from every supplier I use... Again, I'm impartial to either one, just comparing "apples to apples".

The stainless Gibson is still cheaper than the stainless Magnaflow from every supplier I use... Again, I'm impartial to either one, just comparing "apples to apples".

Then help those out on the forum and post it up.

Not to get into a debate here, but I bought my S.S. Gibson for $280 from parts bin. At the time I bought mine, the MagnaFlow was over $500.
The thing to remember is these large online sellers set pricing more based on volume in their warehouse versus materials. Shopping around will pay off but timing can/will set what the flavor of the day is.

I have the Gibson too and love it, my brother got his from ebay but I wanted a valid warranty(the winter salt here destroys metal) so I got it here. gibson 319692, or you can try one of the vendors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great system and very easy to install and for the price you give it a look.

I went with the Magnaflow, I just like the the tone the Magnaflow has with the 4.6L motor. Here is a link to a video so you can see what is sounds like inside the cab. Sorry still don't have one of the ouside yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQmnwmHYc8

I got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my sport not a sport trac but mine is with the V6 i like how it sounds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't want a lot of interior (drone) or exterior noise then Gibson is the way to go. I sell a lot of these to members. If interested feel free to contact me.-j

Back