• Register Today It's free!

92 explorer rear suspension sag

Checkurhead098

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
i just bought a mint 92 explorer 4x4 4 door from alabama, and i mean mint. absolutely no rust. atleast not yet, i live in cleveland OH. my truck has 182000 miles on it and everything works and runs great so far. but im just curious about the rear end sag. im sure its just the leaf springs being old and tired, but im a college student and i was barely able to come up with the $1000 i paid for the truck. so im wondering if there are any cheap fixes i could do to lift up the back end a little. i thought about maybe lift shackles if thier even out there but ive heard those just stress the springs more. so any ideas or info i could get would be cool.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Check, welcome to the site.

I remember reading where other guys have swapped the left and right spring and that leveled things out.

Your best bet is probably a set of full-length add-a-leaf springs.

I like BDS. They have a lifetime warranty.

114202 is the part number for the long add-a-leaf that will fit the Explorer.

That, or give Jeremy a call at Moab Off-Road in Louisville. He can hook you up with some alternatives. 502.962.8141 or www.moab-offroad.net

Jeremy is my kiddo, and he has some great prices on quality parts and work, including custom work.

honestly i was sagging when the shocks were out. i put new shocks on the back and no sag now. and shocks are not to expensive. but personally i like monroe sensa trac.

A fresh set of shocks and an add a leaf popped the rear back up in my Explorer. Pretty cheap fix:thumbsup:

i will look further into everyones suggestions, thanks for all the help!

anybody know if the 2nd gens leafs will bolt right in place on the 1st gens?

Yes, I am 110% sure you can put 2nd gen rear springs on a 1st gen.

I'm actually running a set of OME-36 springs (1.5" lift springs for a 2nd gen) on a 1st gen..

~Mark

Thanks! Good cause my leafs need to retire!!!

is there a difference in the two like ride height "if they was on the same truck"

The ride height is the same on 1st and 2nd gen springs..

~Mark

I have heard of people getting their leaf springs "re-arched". My uncle did this when someone overloaded his grain truck. He took them to a machine shop and they took care of em for pretty cheap. (They may have just added a leaf or something like that....not sure) Worth looking into though.

im wondering if anybody has any experience with using lift shackles. are that really that bad for your springs, in terms of stress and ride quality? im still trying to figure out the cheapest (under $100) fix for my rear end. its such a nice looking truck and the only sign of age it has is the sagging rear.

I've heard good and bad things about re-arched springs.. My guess is it depends on how well they are done.

For a little lift (1.5 max) the WAR-153 shackles will work. They will also keep your spring rate the same..

If your springs are too soft, installing an AAL will help stiffen them up which in turn will lift the vehicle because it will increase your spring rate. It may not give you enough, but it will help the sag caused by weak springs (lower spring rate)..

~Mark

I broke a rear leaf spring on my 91 Ranger and was able to pickup a pair of replacements from JC Whitney for about $175.00. They will get you on shipping, but I was able to run up to thier warehouse and pick mine up with no shipping charges. Talk about a difference, my ranger looks like it is jacked up in the rear and my hauling capabilities had to go up tremendously.

The bigger challenge is getting them off the truck to replace them. I had to cut the springs themself along with a number of the hardened steel bolts to get them off.

The bigger challenge is getting them off the truck to replace them. I had to cut the springs themself along with a number of the hardened steel bolts to get them off.

The trick is to support to body with floor jacks, then jack up the rear end. Then use a BFH and a pry bar

Call Desert Rat or 4 wheel parts and ask for a set of warrior products war-153 shackles. They normally aren't listed on web sites, but they are available.

Or check with your favorite off-road supplier..

The Warrior war-153 shackles are 3" longer than stock (8.5" total for a 1.5"ish lift)

~Mark

Back