• Register Today It's free!

92 for 400$ is it worth it?

edwin a link

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 ??? (XLT I think...)
We just got a 92 in on trade, my boss paid 400 for it, meaning if I want it for myself, thats all I got to pay.

it seems to be an XLT, but I've only seen it in passing, it seems free of body rust... though the paint is beat.

I really dont know what problems to look for on these things, but I want a cheap, tough little 4x4 that I can still keep road legal...

so, I'll be putting it on the rack and inspecting it tomorrow... what should I look for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check for normal wear and tear like ball joints and tie rods. and also check that the doors lock and unlock like they should. if it's an automatic, take it for a spin and see if it slips. if it has auto locking hubs, check that those are working. while your at it, find a nice slick place and check that the 4WD is in working order. if anything is amiss, this forum can help you fix it! with a $400 price tag it begs the question: what's wrong with it? good luck and welcome to the forum!

Pretty sure its Auto,(I'm told they have issues?)

the customer bought a nicely equipped 2008 Explorer from us, and my boss didnt really want to deal with this one (we dont sell cars this old.) and basically told them "I'll give you what I can sell it for at auction" and they took it!

its ugly, its old and the interior (leather?!) has seen better days... but If it checks out to only need a few things here and there...

I'm all for putting in the wrench time, and a bit of money. I just need some 4x4 again!

The 1st gens had weak trannys. The manual proved to be tougher then auto but if the tranny is in good working shape i would NOT walk away from this deal. The engines in these trucks are tried and true. The only other weak part is the auto 4wd but this can easily be strengthed by switching to an aftermarket manual hubs.

Alright! I'll be checking it out today! and thanks for the advice! I'll be paying special attention to the hubs and Trans!

thanks again!

I don't think you can go wrong for $400, even if it's got something major wrong with it you could sell off parts on here and make a few bucks after you come elite.

A lot of grandma's have driven these and don't put the tranny under any stress and they last a long time even though they are known to be weak.

If I were to build an Explorer, it would be a first gen. I just like them and know about them. The resources are endless on this forum.

The devils advocate says if you need a tranny get ready to spend at least $1200 for a rebuild, if you need balljoints/ujoints/tie rods get ready to spend a couple hundred in parts, if you plan to 4 wheel it get ready to spend a few bucks on manual hubs and whatever other lifts and whatnot you need. Either way I still say go for it, you can't go wrong.

...That's less than I paid for my "Project X"...

...The tranny can be a pain but with all the first gen X's going for cheap, you can find another tranny...

..If you look around here there are a lot of first gens that have been modified pretty inexpensively and are quite capable vehicles...The first gen in stock shape w/ manual hubs can take you just about where ever you want to go...;)

Check the radius arm bushings. If they are bad and if they are the original pop rivited ones they are a bit of pita to replace. Not a lot of $$ if you do the work yourself.

Check for cracked heads (white exhaust, coolant leaks, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, etc.)

Read the codes. There's a thread here to do it with a paper clip if you don't have access to the reader. Most times, codes are caused by sensors, vac line and/or wiring issues which are fairly inexpensive but can be time consuming to fix.

Mike

Any explorer is worth that price. My rule of thumb, if its 4x4 and moves itself its worth at least $1000:D

well crap, we didnt get around to looking into it today (we got slammed) but I just figured out its a 2wd,

I mean, its an XLT with leather and no rust... and no door sag.

but its freaking 2wd! I am so bummed out!

I really dont know what I'm gonna do now...:( I dont really need another 2 wheel drive....

I just wanted a freakin 1st gen to take up the mountain!

Bummer dude :thumbdwn:

what are you going to do with a 2wd in Utah? How did it even end up in this state? Partially kidding. But, im in Logan and have a spare 4x4 t-case, front drive shaft, and D35 front axle from a '93. Hell, I even have a spare 4wd A4LD. I think you would also need a crossmember, and a LOT of time... But you could make it a 4x4

what are you going to do with a 2wd in Utah? How did it even end up in this state? Partially kidding. But, im in Logan and have a spare 4x4 t-case, front drive shaft, and D35 front axle from a '93. Hell, I even have a spare 4wd A4LD. I think you would also need a crossmember, and a LOT of time... But you could make it a 4x4

I KNOW! RIGHT! what sucks is, we had a blue 1st gen that was 4x4, but had a really screwed body.

now, had i known this was coming in... I just would have grabbed them both, and just put them together!

but I may get it for a friend of the family, she's got no car and is super poor right now... it all depends on how it checks out.

well crap, we didnt get around to looking into it today (we got slammed) but I just figured out its a 2wd,

I mean, its an XLT with leather and no rust... and no door sag.

but its freaking 2wd! I am so bummed out!

I really dont know what I'm gonna do now...:( I dont really need another 2 wheel drive....

I just wanted a freakin 1st gen to take up the mountain!
Too bad you are too far away. I may be retiring my 'X' Everything works!
This is the family truckster for throwing Suitcases in and driving a few hundred miles. It has 330000 miles on it but it is sound. I did new doglegs 2 years ago, New rear axle bearings a year ago, Ball joints are a few years old. Not sure if I'm even selling it. It's just that I walked into a sweet deal of a newer SUV with 20K miles on it and althought the 'X' shows no signs of dying, I may sell. Who need 8 vehicles in the driveway. I may just hand it off to my son but he's got two Old Mopars to keep him busy.

The more the merrier! I just bought a 2 door 2wd and i'm picking it up tomorrow. Its from California and the body and interior is perfect! Thats rare around here, I live right smack in the middle of the rust belt. My 92 is proof of that.

Tony H, check out my signature. My dad has 7 cars not including mine. We are sick, sick people:help:

Back