92 Power Steering Leak--Reservoir Loose? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Power Steering Leak--Reservoir Loose?

strikefast

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XL
I have developed a power steering fluid leak and noticed when checking the fluid level that I can wiggle the entire filler neck (which is part of the plastic reservoir) back and forth a bit. Is that normal? Or, is this slack/play the likely source of my leak?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fluid seems like it is leaking between the large brass nut (approx. 1-inch across?) and the plastic reservoir body. This is the large brass nut into which the pressure line tube nut appears to seated.

I've read some threads about O-rings going bad on the pressure line, but I think that would cause a leak where the pressure line tube nut seats into the large brass nut, not between the large brass nut and the reservoir like I'm seeing.

Is this where that nylon seal that I've read about comes into the picture? If so, is it still available/replaceable, or have I pretty much got to replace the whole pump/reservoir anyway?

Amazingly, as I rock the plastic reservoir back and forth, this large brass nut appears to sit in a pretty fixed position. The plastic reservoir kind of shifts/rotates around it.

Our '92 has the same issue. Has for years... I got the line to stop leaking by putting a new nylon washer in there.I had a box of assorted washers in nylon and copper (not positive on it being copper, but I got a box of them and they are the kind you use on brake lines as it goes into the caliper). I also used some PVC tape around the threads. That seemed to have stopped it from leaking.

I still have a leak, but the leak I have left is between the pump and the reservoir.

~Mark

Yeah, I went ahead and swapped out the pump and pressure hose with new ones. The new reservoir is securely fastened to the back of the new pump--no more rocking back and forth ;-)

I have heard that it will also forcefully shoot the fluid out of the pump when you turn the wheel hard left when at a stop. The cap apparently isnt enough to trap the fluid in the resevoir. Not sure if its true though.

On my '91 the hose swivels so it is not leaking at the plastic tank. Does anyone else have a hose that swivels a bit?

Back