• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Fluid Leak...

swhite005

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
I noticed that quite a bit of fluid is pooling on the top of the power steering fluid cover. There is also power steering fluid leaking on the chasis and ground below. Due to the fluid on top of the cover, how does it leak from the top of the pump? How essential is it to replace the pump due to the leak? What's it gonna cost for the parts? Should I replace all hoses as well?

Did you recently fill/bleed your power steering?

im not sure how it would go out the top of the resivior without it being over filled or something. Cracked lid?

Do you still have power steering? I would just keep filling/Bleeding it until you find the definate leak. Those things eather work, or they dont. Once it quits working you have about a month until it runs completely dry and the pump seizes up, haulting your belt train with it.

I just went through this last week haha.

About a month and a half ago i noticed a nice leak like how you describe. Except it wasnt on top of the cover? But like i said above, eventully it died. Replacing the pump itself is easy as cake. Takes probably twenty minutes... The pully is what is gonna kill ya. It takes like 30min-hour to pull/press that thing on each time. You shouldnt have to replace the hoses, but the teflon ring around the pressure line MUST be replaced. since thats probably whats leaking.

there is a bleed hole in the middle of the fluid res cap..... it allows pressure to be bled off if there is an instance of turning and the pump not running, like cranking hte wheel with the engine off.......

Back