Bronco638

Nobody Home
Reaction score
City, State
Elk Grove, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 Expedition XLT
Hi All,

Mods: feel free to delete my post in the Stock 1991-94 Explorers forum since this is transmission related.

I'm not new to this forum but haven't been here in quite some time.

I'm looking at a 1992 Sport with the 4.0 and A4LD (153K miles). The owner tells me that engine runs but it can't be driven due to a tranny leak. Now, I've been around cars for a long time and I've never come across a tranny leak so severe that the vehicle couldn't be driven. I'm thinking the pan gasket is shot.

However, I know there are more seals in the A4LD than just the pan gasket. I've been reading some other threads and it appears as if the OD Servo O-ring can be an issue, too.

So, what do you think about the tranny leak? Could it be so severe that it would render the truck un-drivable?

TIA, Dave.

If a transmission is leaking from a cooler line or the front area the fluid will literally be pumped out of the transmission and this can loose a lot of fluid very quickly to a point you cant/shouldn't drive it.

If a transmission is leaking from a cooler line or the front area the fluid will literally be pumped out of the transmission and this can loose a lot of fluid very quickly to a point you cant/shouldn't drive it.
Thanks James. At this point, I'm wondering if the transmission might need a complete overhaul (which isn't cheap).

Back