'92 X Won't Crank..Electrical..

MDewell

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 4X4
Hey gang..

Yesterday the problems began when I got in the explorer and turned the key..no lights, no dash lights...no crank. Tried to jump it, and it would act like the battery was just dead because it wouldn't crank over while trying to jump it.

So I took the battery out and had it tested, it's just fine. So I get back home, put the battery in, start checkin the wires on the solenoid on the firewall. I didn't really do anything other than double check to see if anything was loose, which it wasnt. But, it turned over just fine and I drove it home.

This morning I got in and it started just fine, but when I was just out there to take a break, it's doing the same thing.

I don't believe it to be the key tumbler because it was just replaced about 6 months ago and I've never had any problems with it before. It has it's springy-ness (LOL) and it doesn't feel like it's binding up or anything. I do, however, suspect that either the solenoid on the firewall may be bad, or the ignition switch under the dash. I have yet to try to jump the solenoid wires, which I will do on my next break, but I'm not sure as to what will be accomplished if I jump these and it either does/does not crank.

The problem is, I'm not sure which. Both are cheap in price, but the solenoid seems to be the easiest thing to start with. I wanted to bang heads with the boards finest before I start tearing into it.

So, any other ideas that I'm missing? What can I do to test the ignition switch under the dash? Solenoid?

Thanks ahead of time!

Got to lookin, and the solenoid on the firewall is noticeably cracked. What exactly is this part called? I'll be replacing it, but not sure the name.

For 5 extra bonus points, whats the part number from oreilly's, autozone or NAPA (only 3 choices I have here in town)

OK it's called a "Starter Solenoid Relay" and O'reilly's has it for $25 w/lifetime warranty (Borg Worner) or $10 for 1 year..

So after work, I'll be replacing that part in the parking lot..lol

If that doesn't get anything going, anyone else got an idea?

Back