• Register Today It's free!

93. explorer 4wd issue

angierae

Reaction score
City, State
wiley ford
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xlt
I can't seem to find any help on my problem. Today I decided to test the 4wd drive out cause , winter is around the corner. While sitting still I push the 4hi and all the lights illuminated and herd clicking noise. As well as a clunking noise in the front end not sure where it was coming from though. Well I took her for a ride and push the 4hi was only going about 15 mil. Hr . The whole front end took a spasm. The front end was so shaking really really bad..there where aother noises as well. Also it pulled to the right. The right front has had the bearings replaced twice and a new spindle . When I got the truck the 4wd pieces where out of the right side also. I don't remember y . It seems to drive fine in 2wd. There are little vibration and shakes I know I need new tires. Could this b the u joints or the axles or maybe the driveshaft? Please help :( :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Auto or manual hubs?

Forgot to mention they are auto

Also now when I am sitting stilland press the button, no clunking noise

When traveling down the road in 2wd the front hubs are unlocked and the transfercase doesn't have the front driveshaft engage therefore the driveshaft and front axle are stationary. If you're traveling 40mph and hit the 4x4 button those parts are going to come up to speed pretty quickly and is probably what the initial clunk is.

You need to verify if both hubs are locking in. With the truck in 2wd crawl under and spin the front driveshaft by hand. After a few rotation both hubs should lock in and you won't be able to turn the driveshaft by hand. If it doesn't you have at least on bad hub. This could cause noise, vibration, etc. There's also 6 u-joints used in the front driveshaft and axle. If any one of these are bad it could throw off the balance. Check those over as well.

I rotated the front driveshaft and the axle that go to the wheels they turn slight and then lock, it not even 1 full rotation before they lock. If I shake the axle up and down it kinda gives on the passenger sideside. Is that normal?

How do u check the u joints?

Some play is normal but you need to find out where the play is coming from. If you can see it moving where it goes into the spindle you might want to consider new spindle bearings. For the u-joints, you just need to inspect them and see if there is play between the cups and the cross section.

Good news is they're pretty cheap to replace. Bad news is they're a pain to replace.

Back