• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer Dead 4wd!

hellzbellz45

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer XLT
I have a '93 explorer xlt 4x4. i bought it recently and the 4wd system is completely dead. When I push the dash buttons theres no response at all, no clicking or lights, nothing. I found a thread on here that indicates that my 4x4 control module is the problem. The thing is I have no idea where this gadget is located in my explorer, or where I can find a replacement for that matter. Id rather not have to deal with my local dealer as they are worthless and overcharge for anything and everything. Any help on this would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the electronic shift control module is located up under the left, rear wheel trim panel, working from inside the vehicle....and that's for 91-94 models. Take a peek and let us know if it's there!

Since it's electric, KISS {Keep It Simple Sam} says, "see if u have a blown fuse somewhere b4 spending loads of $$".... what ya' think guys? :):)

you should here clicking when you push the button comming from the left rear inside the truck....if not, check fuses first.....

check to see if you t case motor is bad

up by your parking brake i believe...i have a 91 and thats where mine are...i'm not sure if 94 added something in the relay box under the hood or not but also check there...i hope this helps...

Thanks everyone. Ive already checked the fuses to no avail so Im pretty sure its the cm as there is no clicking or response whatsoever when the buttons are pushed. Ill check the left rear in the morning and see what I can find.

read the post in the link i posted above....it will save you a lot of time...

The 4x4 control module is pictured below.. It contains a test/reset button, but you must 1st disconnect the (2) wire connectors that directly plug into it on the left side.

Unplug the two connectors that plug directly into the module, turn the key on and push the button on the module. The LED should flash four or five times and stop. If the LED did not flash at all or kept flashing continually, the module is most likely internally damaged.
Left_hatch_info.jpg

1) The fuse in the power distribution box under the hood on the passenger side (if yours is the same as my '92).

2) There is really nothing you can do to repair the control module if it is bad. I'm an electrical engineer. I looked at the control module and concluded that the only thing I could fix were broken wires or bad relay. The rest is all microprocessor-controlled. I imagine that its not cheap to replace, either.

3) The good news is that in the vast majority of cases, the fault is in the shift motor assembly on the transfer case. This is where you should start your investigation, assuming that the fuse is good. The shift motor is easy to repair. Do a search on shift motor rebuild and you will find complete instructions, with photos. In my case, as in many others, it was the infamous plastic bushing that had disintegrated. The repair cost is $5.00 for a hardened security Torx bit plus $.05 worth of rubber fuel line. If you don't want to tackle the rebuild, replacement assemblies are available for about $100 from NAPA or Autozone.

Bob

derocha....thanks for posting that pic as i'm helping someone with their windows...what is that white cannister pictured???
and do i see a spare set of keys???

derocha....thanks for posting that pic as i'm helping someone with their windows...what is that white cannister pictured???
and do i see a spare set of keys???

The white cannister is the rear washer fluid reservoir (91-94).. On later models Ford employed a single underhood reservoir for both front and rear washers. And yes I keep a spare set of keys for the ignition, Trailer hitch, bike lock, and locking gas cap. Its extra piece of mind when traveling and I lose/misplace my primary set of keys.

thanks, i don't have that option on my truck...btw, thanks again on the hub pics...turns out someone swapped my hub for an empty one....

Wow I cant believe how helpful everyone is on here. Im gonna check all of the above and hopefully I'll just have to rebuild the shift motor instead of having to shell out $300 for a new module.
Thanks!

Well I tested the cm and the led blinked four sweet times and stopped so there it is. also when I plugged the two connections back into the module I tried engaging 4 wheel drive again and I got a few clicks which is better than the previous silence. Looks like I'll be rebuilding my shift motor. thanks guys!

i'll be doing mine this week just to verify my new project X's set up before she goes wheeling...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I tested the cm and the led blinked four sweet times and stopped so there it is. also when I plugged the two connections back into the module I tried engaging 4 wheel drive again and I got a few clicks which is better than the previous silence. Looks like I'll be rebuilding my shift motor. thanks guys!

As suspected the shift motor is at fault.. IMO you don't need to rebuild the entire shift motor, since the problem is most likely with the broken stop. Sometimes taking apart the windings and armature can lead to broken bolts or missing springs...

Back