93 Explr Where To Start? San Diego | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explr Where To Start? San Diego

Lori

Reaction score
City, State
SAN DIEGO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 EXPLORER 4WD
Hello,

I Love My 93 Ford Explr. Decided To Restore Everything. I'm Not Mechanically Inclined (yes, I'm Female) So Any Advice On Where To Begin? Any Recommendations/referrals Mechanics, Parts, Paint, Upholstery In San Diego Area Would Be Great.

Look Forward To Hearing You.

Thanks,
Lori

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help you out with anything in cali but this site has just about everything you will ever need for you X. Use the "search" for the forums and Im sure you'll find some help!!!

Where in SD are you located? I live in Lakeside, and work in Chula Vista, I am married, but I am a welder, and mechanical. Gary

I Live In La Mesa.

Your A Good Guy Mentioning That Your Married. Your Wife Is Lucky, Not Only Are You Honest But You Can FIX Stuff To!!!

I'd Appreciate Any Advice. I Love My 93 Explr 2dr Sport. So, I Thought It Would Be To My "financial" Advantage If I Made My Old Xplr Into A "new" Xplr.

I'm Interested To Start Off By First, Overhauling And Or Rebuilding My Engine. It Has Close To 300,000 Miles And Doesn't Run Too Well.
Then I'd Like A New Paint Job, New Rims And Bigger Tires And I'd Like To Lift It A Little.

LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU.

LORI

welcome to the site

Lori, you've got a pretty good sense on what to do , starting with rebuilding your engine, but you must also look at your transmission also and re build it as it is sure to give you problems with that mileage on it check your rad also. Is it 4 wheel drive then have your transfer case looked at and depending on how much it was used it could need some work. Then have your hubs and spindles and bearings looked at in the front wheels along with all the suspension part and replace as necessary...you'll probably be o.k. there but it's best to be sure. Then give your brake system the old once over....check your calipers and seals and if all is good then change your fluid. hows your rear end ;) does it vibrate or make clunking noises, get it looked at and change the fluid if all is o.k., and then check your universals (all). Now your good mechanically and then get body and paint done. Got running boards? make sure they are removed when doing the bodywork. Any questions we're all her 24/7 for you.

Back