1999 Explorer Does not Crank Hard to Start - Takes 40-50 Key Turns | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Does not Crank Hard to Start - Takes 40-50 Key Turns

letoii

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
I have an intermittent problem with my 1999 Explorer Sport 2WD. Some days it will not start or crank. I turn the key and nothing from the engine.

Sometime after a key turn I hear a single click from the steering wheel area.

The battery works fine, all lights and radio comes on.

The THEFT light blinks, not rapidly, about every 3 sec.

If I keep turning the key, the car will eventually start. Sometimes it takes 10 tries, sometimes 100. Sometimes it helps to shift into neutral, or from park to neutral, and back to park.

Once the car starts and runs 20min, it will start OK for the rest of the day.

This usually happens after a colder night, but I'm in San Diego so it never really drops below 40F.

My mechanic replaced the starter, ignition switch, solenoid, some kind of electrical junction box, but the problem still persists.

Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replacing parts without troubleshooting is a waste of $$$

Check the ignition switch, see if the signal to the starter solenoid is present when you have the no crank condition.

That should have been your mechanics first step.

Ignition switch

The ignition switch was replaced too... Was having trouble reading the handwriting on this invoice.

Sometimes it takes 10 tries, sometimes 100. Sometimes it helps to shift into neutral, or from park to neutral, and back to park.

Might be a good clue - could have a wiring or mechanical problem with the neutral safety switch.

Best advice is always test-test-test, not part-part-part

Had something similar with my 98. Check the neg battery cable, mine was loose around the top where the ground wire is clamped together. Was tight around the battery post, took a second look to notice it.
good luck

Back