93 Ranger 4.0 Crank but No Start

PTK502

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Ranger
Hi All!
First this probably been answered somewhere and I am sorry I am posting but Im kinda in a spot on this one. I have a 93 Ford Ranger 4.0 with a Crank but No Start issue. It turns and turns sputters but wont start. Here is the low down on it so you Ranger Experts have all the details.
1: Truck has approx 30K on it
2: It is the 4.0 4x4 Standard cab
3: The Previous owner blew a head gasket, but it was still running
4: Replaced both head gaskets, with a complete Upper Gasket set.
5: New Plugs, Oil and Filter
6: New Antifreeze ( with 50/50 mix )
7: Everything torqued to spec
8: Throws Spark with spark tester on all 6 wires
9: Getting fuel to my knowledge, there appears to be a leaky fuel injector all the way on the rear passenger side.
10: Supposedly ( I wasnt there ) it started with the throttle wired wide open
11: I cleaned MAF just for my OCD sake, Cleaned Throttle Body ...
12: Assuming since Im getting spark the Crank Position Sensor is working...
What I have yet to try:
1: Starting fluid
2: Pulling a vacuum on the fuel regulator

Any assistance in diagnosing or possible issues i have missed please let me now. My past experience is all with older Fords and Bow Ties...

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're getting spark, I'd set aside the crank sensor, ICM and coil. Look at fuel. Try starting fluid. Pulling a vacuum on the fuel regulator wouldn't do much but send more fuel back to the tank. The higher the vacuum, the more 'at idle' the engine is and the more fuel is diverted back to the tank since it's not needed. Even if the fuel regulator was faulty, it should at least start up and idle. Usually when they go bad they leak fuel and can cause a rich condition or cause fuel starvation at higher RPM.

You could try a KOEO test to see if there's anything horribly wrong with sensors and things like that.

Thank you for the info what is a KOEO Test?

Thanks again!

I dont have anything more then standard tools and a OBDII scanner... i dont believe the 93 had a OBDII port on it ?
Not sure I can run that kind of test

Do you hear your fuel pump turn on when you turn key on? I had a very similar problem but turned out to be a faulty fuel pump relay and only cost $16.50 at the dealership For a new relay.

With starting fluid it will probably try to start, but from your description I'd suspect no fuel pressure.

Back