• Register Today It's free!

Cranks no start

parris001

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
So I have a '94 Explorer. She's been a really good truck, we've worked out our issues.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed it would start missing at about 2300 rpms. I could baby the throttle and get it to short shift and never hit 2300 and it ran fine.

Yesterday I went out to start it and she cranked but no start. I blasted brake clean into the throttle body while my wife cranked it and she wouldn't hit. So I figure I'm not getting any spark. Wheres the best place to start looking. All the obvious I've taken care of. The plug wires are fairly new as are the plugs. Nothing under the hood looks like the rats or squirrels have eaten it up.

Based on the 2300 rpm misfire and now no fire................... where should I look first?

This is most often a fuel issue. I really cannot speak to your brake clean test... If you have a fuel pressure gauge, I'd hook it up and verify you are getting fuel. There are a number of sensors involved in spark, crank position sensors can fail and do this too. Here's a link on that:

Intermittent start - crankshaft sensor fix

Brake cleaner isn't really the best starter fluid, so just maybe it not firing on that doesn't mean you aren't getting spark. Easiest way to check that is to remove the plug from the coil or the spark plug and see if electricity jumps between the two.

I would check the fuel pressure. It needs to be between 30-40 PSI, anything less or it drops rapidly after building pressure usually means its a fuel pump issue.

Use insulated pliers and hold one spark plug wire loose in the coil pack. Have someone crank it over and listen for the spark jump. If you hear it sparking regularly it rules out spark problems.

Back