93 X, Ignition switch lose, bell chimes after key is out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 X, Ignition switch lose, bell chimes after key is out

ITBEBOB

Reaction score
City, State
Westminster, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Baurer 4x4
The wings (thumb pads?) on my ignition switch is lose and doesn't line up with the key slot. When I take the key out and open the door the bell chimes as if I left the key in. I have to turn the switch pads slightly to line them up with the key slot to shut the bell chime off.

Is there something that I can tighten up behind the cowling so it's not lose? Kind of like a large nut on a cabinet lock, or do I need to replace the entire ignition switch?

Thanks,
ITBEBOB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol been living with this problem for years... gotten to where i ignore it, or turn the chrome part til it stops. never thought to try to fix it.

The fix is most likely to replace the lock cylinder......I am content to live with mine as it is. I just move it where it is supposed to be when I take the key out. It has become second nature to me now.

Guys, thanks for the response, appreciated.

I ordered a replacement on rock auto, dirt cheap and no more issues. My wife left the ignition on and killed the battery. NO MORE!

I replaced mine recently wasnt real hard the part is like 13.99 at advance. took me longer to get the plastics off then it took to replace it. Just search on the forum theres a few write ups on it. the only problem I have now is remembering that I have to have 2 keys for it one for the doors and one for the ignition.

The two key thing is a PITA. Take them both to a locksmith and have him fix you up. The ignition is controlled by the tip of the key, while the door locks are controlled by the part of the key closer to the head. Point being is if you cut the half of the old key profile closest to the head on the new keys you will be back to one key for both.

I believe you can have one key made with your old one on one side and the new one on the other. if you dont want to deal with a locksmith.

Back