93 XLT 4x4 wont engage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 XLT 4x4 wont engage

Ok so there is a snow storm outside and i was driving to a friend's place and decided to play in a parking lot on the way. When i tried to engage the 4x4 it wont work. I have a 93 XLT with push button transfer case and automatic locking hubs. I Just used the 4x4 successfully a few days ago, so I cant figure out why it wont engage now. I let my car warm up for about 5-10 mins before i drove it. I tried engaging 4x4 in every gear and still nothing. When I push the 4x4 button, i noticed my instrument panel lighting dims slightly for a scond, and the volt meter dips. I really need 4x4 to get around in this weather so HEEEELP PLEASE!!!

This fixed it 0 dollars spent needed 2 people one 11 mm socket im not positive this was the exact size but you will need metric and a extension and a basic standard wrench set.

I assume this is a push button 4 wheel drive?
I have had the same problem pushed the button it would not engage.
I will tell you how i fixed it, I taped on the small motor attached to the transfer case but no it still didn't work, I removed the motor from the transfer case don't worry about taking off any of the wires leave them on. When it was removed i put a larger screw driver in where it moves in a circular motion, i very lightly twisted it both ways. Then i had a helper get in the car while it was runing and bump the switch back and fourth it still didnt move, I then told my helper to keep taping on the buton while i had the motor facing up and down i taped it with a hamer just hard enough not to dent it several times. the motor then started working. I advise once you do this to tap that button at least 100 times to get the motor freed up and keep it moving then put it back on and dont forget to engage and disengage it every once in a while. Your problem may be diferent but i browsed 10 forums before trying anything one said 99% of the time this is the problem so i tried it it worked.

Also if you like ebay has those motors brand new for 70 to 90 dollars easy to install but my explorer has been used a lot and is close to salvage stage so i will keep using it the way it is when it stops working again i will repost.

Cost 0 dollars took around 45 minutes to a hour to complete this includes the 15 minute break taken while talking to my helpfull buddy.

How to do it remove the four bolts that hold the weight stabalizer looks round, take it off then remove the bolts on the small motor that atach it to the transfer case no need to remove the wire harness just leave it on.

Back