'93 XLT sounds like my brakes are grinding metal-metal!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 XLT sounds like my brakes are grinding metal-metal!!

hokie2008

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
ok i have run into from the sound the explorer is making, a serious brake problem...when im driving at any speed i hear a metal to metal rubbing noise coming from my brakes....when i apply my brakes it sounds like grinding metal..any ideas what this could be? i had a 600$ brake system put in about a year ago with new pads, rotors, hoses and callipers......PLEASE HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well first off, check your brakes.. It may have been a year but you never know if their down to practically nothing.

so do you think i may just need new brake pads?

If you are hearing metal to metal, it's almost a certainty you will need a rotor too. It is possible to pick up a stone and get something like this, but from what you say sounds more like a pad who's lining is gone... there is a thread of rebuilding your front brakes on the 1st generation Explorer (91-94) in the "Useful threads" forum, has lots of pictures and it was metal to metal prior to rebuild... check it out, you'll have a better idea what to look for.

edit. Oh hell here's the link.... easier

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122696

Good luck and let us know.

yeah i just had that problem my brake pads were shot go check yours

Back