'93explorer needs MAF...does anyone know how to install? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93explorer needs MAF...does anyone know how to install?

Did you try snugging the bolts and check the vacum tree? If your exhaust is black and sooty, then chances are there is to much gas and not enough air or a rich condition. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel preasure regulator.

I did a little reading and found some more ideas. Try pulling the vacum line for the FPR and smell it. If it smells like gas or gas comes out, then the FPR is most likely bad. Another way to tell, is to have someone turn on the ignician but do not start the truck. If any liquid comes out of the vacum line then the FPR is bad. If any gas comes out of the vacum line turn off the ignician immediately to avoid spilling gas and do it when the engine is cold to. The only other(Safest) way to test the FPR is to hook up a fuel preasure test guage to the fuel rail and check the preasure. It should be in the mid 30s I believe and shoud not fluctuate that much if at all. Unfortunately, the FPR costs about 74 bucks. I actualy put a junkyard one on my truck a while back for 5 bucks, but you never know if its even good though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try snugging the bolts and check the vacum tree?
If your exhaust is black and sooty, then chances are there is to much gas and not enough air or a rich condition. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel preasure regulator.

I did a little reading and found some more ideas. Try pulling the vacum line for the FPR and smell it. If it smells like gas or gas comes out, then the FPR is most likely bad. Another way to tell, is to have someone turn on the ignician but do not start the truck. If any liquid comes out of the vacum line then the FPR is bad. If any gas comes out of the vacum line turn off the ignician immediately to avoid spilling gas and do it when the engine is cold to. The only other(Safest) way to test the FPR is to hook up a fuel preasure test guage to the fuel rail and check the preasure. It should be in the mid 30s I believe and shoud not fluctuate that much if at all.
Unfortunately, the FPR costs about 74 bucks. I actualy put a junkyard one on my truck a while back for 5 bucks, but you never know if its even good though.

No, we haven't yet but it is 1 degree outside so I think we might have to push the recheck out until Monday. :-(

As far as the fuel gauge tester is concerned, we don't have one of those but we could buy one or just try the visual test. You know, I don't mind working on the vehicle when it's warm but when it is cold, well, it get's harder to stay diligent. :D

Yeah, you know, I had read that the FPR this might be the other issue. I'll have to check the Haynes to find out where this is at and the vacuum line for it so we can check. That might be the real issue here. It drives just fine, though it does sound a bit "stuffy" to me but the idle sucks bad!

Well, if I return the IAC, then I won't care about the cost for the FPR. Heck, we've already spent too much when we bought a new MAF but that was our fault for jumping the gun on this one! :)

I'd go to the junkyard if it was warmer but not around here at this time of the year...

Really appreciate all of your help on this one and I'll post my results as soon as I get some...

"...time and chance happens to them all" - King Solomon, the book of Ecclessiastes

The FPR is on the left side of the fuel rail as your looking at the engine from the front. It is towards the front of the fuel rail and has a braided steel line attached to the top of it. The vacum line connects to the bottom of the FPR and runs on top of the lower intake to the back of the motor and around to the vacum tree. Just be careful not to start any fires.

Thanks a lot Josh! The book said where it was located but since really understanding, or attempting to understand what I was looking at is so new, that is why I wasn't sure where it is located.

We're gonna work on it later this week since it is so cold and wait till it gets in the 30s at least around here. But we'll definitely be cautious around the fuel line area 'cause it's not really worth all that trouble to get injured over. ;)

I'll check back when we have some more news...:p:

leak at the intake manifold...

Hi all...

Well, after spending most of the week piddling around with the car, we finally realized that this was going to require more experience and time than we had to invest in the Ex. So, we sent it to our local mechanic on Thursday evening and they looked at it late Friday.

The verdict: leak in the intake manifold and they are going to fix all things by Monday. Not the issue that we thought was going on with the truck but this is how things tend to work out.

Thanks for everything and I'm sure I'll be back soon when we start to work on the other issues with the truck...:p:

Did you guys try and tighten the intake manifold bolts? If not, that may have cured the problem.

Back