94 Explorer 4.0 Head/Gasket | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer 4.0 Head/Gasket

Yea, the beauty of it is that it only took me 1/2 hr to get out the radiator and unbolt the mounts and power steering. The tranny was out and half of the engine components were off. All the hard work was done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I went to the yard and got it!! Fits nicely in the back of my little Toyota Tercel. Pictures will follow...

for $400 I am picking up a 96 Ranger 4.0L with 87K miles on it and dropping it into our 97 explorer that has a leaking head gasket and or bad head...sometimes its just easier

New engine comes with warranty and lots of spare parts.....

Agreed:thumbsup: i did the same thing and not waste my money on something that is unknown. Only thing i didn't get was a warranty since i got my motor private party.

LOL USS i once pulled a motor from a jy and put it in the back of old Ford Fiesta

DSCF3113.jpg

What's involved in changing the oil pan? Is it a gasket or straight up silicone? The new one doesn't have the hole for the low oil sensor, and I would like to use it. Any idea if I need to swap out fuel injectors? I also noticed stampings with the letters C and D starting out the part numbers. How long has Ford been making these engines?

If I remember correctly it was just a cork gasket with RTV around the joints for the rear main and the front seal.

~Mark

Nope, at least not the 99 ones. I ordered new Fel-Pro intake and oil pan gaskets for the 99 engine. They sent the metal type with impregnated silicone. Looks the same on my new engine. Also looks like the type used on the valve covers. I wonder per chance if these are reusable. I remember doing some trans services on GM cars with this type of gasket and they told you to reuse it. They are awful expensive. :( Hmmm
DSCF3116.jpg

DSCF3115.jpg

I know that lower intake gasket you show there is a ford part. I specifically ordered ford lower intake and valve cover gaskets becuase they were metal (felpro isn't metal). The one (lower intake) that came with my rebuild gasket kit from felpro was paper, not metal.

My pan gasket came from felpro and was cork.. I can't remember what my spare motor had when I took it apart.. but I do know that I put rtv at the corners where the flat meets the curved at the front/rear of the pan gasket.

~Mark

Man, I guess your parts guy doesn't like you cause these were both in Fel-Pro boxes. The oil pan set is PN OS 34309. The lower intake PN is MS 90728

I didn't even have him look for the gaskets from felpro.. I know the total engine kit came with the non metal ones.. so I went straight to Ford (fastpartsnetwork.com)..

Its a common theme on here that the felpro gaskets are not the good metal ones.. but at least now we have part numbers for the metal ones from felpro... thats good info as I bet they are cheaper than the ford ones.. ($80 for the valve cover gaskets and the lower intake gasket).

~Mark

:D The oil pan gasket was $47.86 list and cost me $42.13. The lower intake was $74.77 list and cost me $50.90. I wonder if Ford is cheaper. I may not need to swap the intake. Won't know 'till tomorrow when I have my engine out and compare the two. I borrowed the torch from work and got the exhaust manifold bolts out this morning before I came in. They were real tight even after I got the manifolds hot. All that's left is one motor mount nut and a ground cable. My neighbor is coming over with his Kubota tractor with a bucket tomorrow and we'll hoist it out with that. Where there's a will there's a way!:D

Well I did the swap this weekend. Only trouble is that my neighbor had sold his tractor. We used a scaffold with some boards, a ladder, a pulley with a hook from my come-a-long, and the winch off of his ATV. We then had to move the truck in and out from under the engine. Like I said...Where there's a will there's a way. I have been slowly putting things together. The engine is bolted to the trans and the hood is back on. Hope to have it running by the end of the week.

Red Green would be proud!!

May all your wishes come true. I took videos and took a couple of pics. Not too clear, but you can make it out.

DSCF3120.jpg

DSCF3119.jpg

Well I got it running over the weekend. After the oil pressure pumped up, the valves stopped tapping and It ran beautifully. Only problem is after it warms up and goes into closed loop it starts leaning out big time and won't stay running. I got lean codes for both O2 sensors and a code for a high signal for the EGR backpressure transducer. I replaced the fuel filter that had some restriction, but haven't had a chance to try it since I had to get to work this morning. I don't think that's the problem though. I also haven't checked fuel pressure yet. Should I be running higher fuel pressure with the high compression 99 engine? Any other suggestions?

Well after lots of research and checking fuel pressures, it comes down to a bad MAF sensor. I disconnected it and took it for a ride. It made a significant differance in drivability and power. Apparently It won't throw a code in a situation like this. It just makes the computer go lean. When you disconnect it, it makes the computer go to a set value. I have come to realize that this would be good for doing a proper throttle body cleaning while running the engine. Anyway, I picked up a fresh looking MAF sensor at the yard this morning. I also needed a brake rotor and a wiper motor that just decided to take a dump now. This truck is starting to shape up. Should be road worthy in the next day or so. Still gotta hook up the A/C lines and replace the heater core.

USS RIGHTEOUS, what junk yard did you use? I see you are in the Poconos, I might need to get a bunch of parts for a 92 explorer i just picked up. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to Harry's U-Pull-it in Pennsdale, PA

wow small world, that is the best u-pull yard in that area, maybe on the east coast. fact is most yards are getting away from the u-pull because of insurance reasons. I used to frequent that place before I got married, but now I moved to Maryland, there is just no good pull-it yards in the area.

Glad you got it running, I was wondering how the engine was going to handle the different fuel delivery. You got a great deal on the engine :thumbsup:

Back