94 Explorer 4.0 Head/Gasket | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer 4.0 Head/Gasket

Thanks, I figured that might have been where you went.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, they got a big yard in Hazelton, but Pennsdale is on my way to work. There's lots of good Exploder parts there. There's another yard in Allentown, but not that great. They have a website. www.wegotused.com I normally wouldn't buy an engine without hearing it run first, but it looked so clean, and was so easy to get out that I took a chance. My gut feeling was right. It runs and drives great now, but i still have to replace the EGR DPFE sensor. I put new wheel cyls in it last week and front pads. One rotor was cracked so I got another one at Harry's this week. Also needs front U-joint on same side as rotor, so I'll do both together. Went to charge up A/C and found that the evaporator was leaking bigtime, so that's gonna have to be dealt with. Doesn't look too bad to do. Also still needs heater core. Obviously I'm gonna be busy this weekend.

Codes 181, 186, and 189

Took the truck out for it's first big 100 mile highway run on Sunday. Ran good except that it was lacking in power. Didn't feel like wires or plugs breaking down. I have yet to get a hold of gauges for checking fuel pressure. I have no hard codes, so I think all the sensors are ok, but I do have continuous codes as follows. Code 181 - Adaptive fuel rich limit reached at part throttle, right side. Code 186 - Injector pulse width higher than expected. Code 189 - Adaptive fuel rich limit reached, left side. I am currently running with the 99 injectors in the 99 engine using the 94 upper plenum and fuel rail and 94 OBD 1 system. I'm going to try to do an injector cleaning and see if that helps. Anybody got any suggestions?

Took the truck out for it's first big 100 mile highway run on Sunday. Ran good except that it was lacking in power. Didn't feel like wires or plugs breaking down. I have yet to get a hold of gauges for checking fuel pressure. I have no hard codes, so I think all the sensors are ok, but I do have continuous codes as follows. Code 181 - Adaptive fuel rich limit reached at part throttle, right side. Code 186 - Injector pulse width higher than expected. Code 189 - Adaptive fuel rich limit reached, left side. I am currently running with the 99 injectors in the 99 engine using the 94 upper plenum and fuel rail and 94 OBD 1 system. I'm going to try to do an injector cleaning and see if that helps. Anybody got any suggestions?

ahh that's probably your problem. The 99 injectors are 60 pound injectors (that what I have in my 01). They used a returnless system with the FPR back with the fuel pump. You will probably need to switch to your old injectors which are 35 pound injectors. That makes sense why it's having problems. When you pulled the fuel rail off the new engine was it a returnless setup, IE is only had one connection from the tank?

Yes, the 99 engine came with the returnless style setup that I changed to match the old setup. ( I put the 94 fuel rail on) I had opted for the 99 injectors simply because I figured they are new technology and might be more efficient. Anyway, I put in a new set of wires and plugs, and added Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the tank. I let it run for a while and took it for a ride after clearing the codes. There was a big difference in performance and Codes 181 & 189 did not come back. Code 186 - Injector pulse width higher than expected did return, but it took a little longer for the CEL too come on. My wife is taking it on another 100 mile hike today, so we'll see how it does. I'm thinking it just needed the injectors cleaned out. I'll know by tonight. Slowly working out the bugs...

Well I hope it works out for you. I do know that the injectors are different, and they are setup to take 62psi and your system will only deliver about 35. That is gonna screw with the pulse width the PCM thinks it needs. It will probably make the engine run on the lean side.

you need to use the 94 injectors or get your mas and possibly pcm calibrated to use the 60# units...

60# injectors will not work with the 94 computer or mas

Hmmm...(he said while scratching his chin). Well I'll see what happens. It is running a little lean. I forgot to mention that the KOER test showed Codes 172 and 136 for lean O2 sensor readings. Also a code 412 - Unable to control high RPM. Basically when I did the Wide Open Throttle test, it bogged out. Chances are you're right, but I'll see how it does after tonight. I really wrestled with the decision of what injectors to use when I installed the engine. Otherwise it is running pretty darn good. If it doesn't iron out, I'll just go ahead and swap out the injectors. By the way, how much of a problem is it to tap into the 94 processor and play around with the PROM chip? I wouldn't mind custom tuning this thing when it's done if possible.

Increased fuel pressure?

Okay, that didn't do it. Guess it's time to change over the injectors. I wonder if it's possible to modify the FPR to crank out more pressure? I may grab one at the yard and do some surgery on it to see if this is possible. Wouldn't this solve the lean condition? That should satisfy the computer and probably give better performance? I would think that the fuel pump should be able to handle the increase also. Any thoughts?

Swap the injectors dude.

There is always the KISS method, just swap the injectors. Save yourself the hassle, running lean is mean and rich is a b!tch.

I checked the specs last night and the book shows that the max pressure the system puts out is 60psi with the regulator maxed out. Even if I were to find a way to crank it up, the pump would be at its limit all of the time. That ain't no good, so I'll do the injectors this weekend. Make it so number one!

let us know how it works out.

BTW even if you would modify the FPR the computer would not know how to handle the pulse width and would probably throw a code. You would still need a tune to fix the problem.

When you swap them, be very carefull with the lower rubber seals, you will need to re-use them since they are not the typical orings, but a large rubber boot that seals into a 3/4" dia hole. You will need to fit those boots onto your old injectors.

Yea, that's one reason I left the 99 injectors in the engine. The 94 injectors kept popping the boots off into the intake and I was too lazy to pick them all out, so I figured I'd just leave the 99's in. Had a feeling that would come back to kick me in the arse!!

when you install them, some silicon tune up grease(dielectric) on the orings will make them slip right in with very little force. It make things so much easier to put back together :thumbsup:

Okay, stayed late at work tonight and did the injectors and a few other jobs. Silicone worked great. So far it starts and idles better. Still got a check engine light. I'll drive it tonight and let you know how it goes.

Runs great now, but still getting code 214-cylinder identification circuit failure. This is a code for cam position sensor. I must still have it wired wrong! I wish they would have made the two sensors interchangable. Okay, back to the drawing board and the schematics.

I'm glad your injectors worked out, too bad about the cam sensor. I know someone here already tackled that, you may want to search around a little for how they did it..

Happy Halloween everybody!! Gonna have to work on my cam sensor on the truck tonight...now how's that for scary!!?? :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wanted to say that i'm jealous of your knowledge. you sound like you're really good at working on engines. if only i had 1/10th your skill. I guess it's because i'm still only 21 lol

Back