• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Ac Question...

jimphx

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and I have a ac ? My 94 Explorers ac fan clutch will only engage in the defrost setting. The air blows correctly out of the other settings( max ac- regular ac) but its not cold due to the fan clutch not engaging. Can someone please explain why this is. I have also called a shop and they mention it could be the mode selector switch. If this could be the problem where is this part located on the vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're getting terminology mixed up. There's the fan clutch which kicks in to cool your engine which doesn't have much directly to do with the AC, then there's the compressor clutch which cools the fluid that cools the air for AC and then there's the blower motor that actually blows air into the cabin. Which isn't engaging?

Thanks for responding and your right. Its the compressor clutch that is not engaging(except when in the defrost setting) Everything else works fine.

While I'm no AC expert, it kinda sounds like your system might be low on refrigerant.

If the compressor clutch engages at all, your refrigerant level (pressure) has to be adequate, therefore I would suspect the mode switch - which is the slide switch that you use to determine whether you're in heat, defrost, or A/C mode etc. I don't have the wiring diagram for the '94 handy, but it may also be the A/C push-button switch that selects the fan speed. Being in Arizona, your A/C unit probably gets a lot more use than most, so I'd not be surprised if the switch has worn out. (I use up brake light switches...)

You are pressing the fan control button "in" right? Little red light comes on?

You have to manually press the button for a/c, all other modes i.e. defrost, will engage the compressor automatically.

Sorry if this sounds to simple, just checking in case your a new owner. Seen this one missed before by a new owner.

WOW didn't see that.

Thanks for everyone's response. FR-425.. As much as I don't want to Admit this that was my mystery problem. And yes I am a new owner so I should get a pass on this one. lol

You are pressing the fan control button "in" right? Little red light comes on?.

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I noticed the A/C go out on my '94, so I was searching around to see what info was out there and found this one

My little red light no longer comes on when I push the button in, under any slider setting (vent, defrost, floor). What does this mean, besides that it ain't working? Does it implicate any particular part failure?

No, even on mine where I deleted the A/C, my light will come one. It most likely means the switch is bad.

Since we are in topic. :)
How do you get that switch off the dashboard? My Ac fan has mind of it's own (which I did made a thread about it) and it wouldn't work only in hottest days. It's just the blower that doesn't work. And the weird part is if I open the window (only have one working one) and somehow cool the inside of the car fan would kick in but when it's 100 outside it's really hard the cool the interior.
Soooo....any suggestions? :)

Back