• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer died in traffic

caddisbluyak

Reaction score
City, State
Flora Vista NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
Hi I have a 94 explorer, 205k miles on it.I had driven about 40 miles today and it just died in traffic.It would start and die.Police officer pushed me out of traffic. It would not start up again. About 1 hour later it started,ran for a couple min died.2 hours later went to tow it home it started right up.I was able to drive it about 25 miles home without hitch. I did have head gaskets replaced last summer.blown gasket on back end driver side.Any help on where to start checking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you get a whine noise from the tank when you click it to the "on" position? That is your fuel pump motor sending fuel to the motor. If no noise then 1st check the inertia switch to see it hasnt tripped...see the link below...Then if that doesnt do it, then you could have a bad fuel pump...also it could be a really clogged fuel filter. Try replacing the filter before the pump(unless there is no noise coming from the pump)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242889

also check the fuel pump relay it could have gotten loose or the internals are becoming out of spec for proper operation. Did it suddenly loose all power for a second of 2 before it died or running strong them nothing? If its fuel related (pump, relay) then it would sputter for a few then die (like running out of gas). if the other then it might be ecu or sensor related cut that should throw a check engine light.

My bet is on the fuel pump relay in the power distribution box under the hood.

Replace with a genuine Ford part not aftermarket, even though they cost more. The first one lasted 205,000 miles and aftermarket one might last 60,000 (been there tried that)

Thanks for suggestions

Due to work Have not had time to check ,But I wanted to say thank you for the help.Will start check tomorrow. Will post any findings.
Thanks again:usa:

Mech pulled codes

Hi -Took my vacation.
Now back to reality I took ride to my mech he pulled computer scan codes
111- system pass
214- cylinder ID circ failure
?- egr .
CE Light comes on in few seconds after start, stays on
He believes it is the PCM.
My Questions are #1-now that i need a PCM, where is a good place to buy one and #2- does it need to be programed for my vehicle vin # and mileage? Ford no longer carries this year. Looking on internet becomes confusing some places say it needs programing others say nothing about it.
any Help
Rob

Its really a guess, I start with the basics. Fuel and Spark. Fuel how old is the pump, fuel filter.
Two clues it had a chance to cool off and started. A clogged fuel filter, debris could settle while off and allow fuel to pass before clogging again.

Electric components get hot and fail. Cooling lowers resistances and the may work again.

If it was mine fuel filter replaced first. Than check the pump. Next check spark.

He was last seen here on 8-17-11.

Back