• Register Today It's free!

Help, died in traffic

jakegator

Reaction score
City, State
PA, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 4dr ohv
Hello again! I was driving around the other day and my 92 ex just died at a red light, towed it home and here it sits. Ive tested fuses and ruled out the inertia switch. I tested the voltage at the connect before it goes into the fuel tank. When the key is in the run position its about 7 volts, when the key is in the start position and the engine is cranking its 12 volts... im assuming it means i need a new fuel pump? what do you thing?

Also regulator, which is suppose to have a vacuum line to it didnt... so got a new one... it had terrible acceleration and bogging down under 35mph, i assume this is part of that problem?

Side note, it has 306000 miles and mostly everything is original...

If you think it's the fuel pump my question is: have you checked the fuel pressure?

I have not as i will not have the tester until later this week, although i do know it is getting air and a spark, suppose it could be the fuel filter but it seems rather sudden for it. There wasnt any real sign, although the positive wire to the motor was stripped and corroded, when i moved it it snapped so i replaced it. I just jumped at the fuel pump because its original (based on service records anyways).

Back