94 Explorer Drum Brake Reassmebly?NEED HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Drum Brake Reassmebly?NEED HELP

STX-93

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster,OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 STX Ranger
i got in an accident in my ranger and a guy hit me in the wheel and bent my axle so i have to get a new one.iv decided to go with a explorer axle to put in my 93 ranger because its stronger and beefier.i went to the wrecker today and picked up a complete explorer rear end out of a 94.the axle is in perfect shape except for the brake components were all corroded and had surface rust all over them.i couldn't get the drums off the pads.they were fused togeather on both sides.so i had to wack them off with a sledg hammer.it messed the brakes all up so i just striped them all off.i have all the parts off my other axle.it had 10" drums.anyhow i have no clue on how to reassemble it.could somebody tell me how to put all the stuff back on so i have working rear brakes?i need to know this fast as possibile cause i cant afford another week without my DD.thanks alot.

yeh.i know i usually have to just tap it off around the drum.this was bad.i was hittin it with an 8lb. sledge.hard enough to scoot the whole rear end on wood.that link is what i needed.thanks.if i run into any more problems ill post.

Drum

I know they will always stuck, but is there some way to prevent or reduce the rust bonding the drum to the axle plate ? I opened mine today and had to pound (6 lbs hammer) for 1/2 an hour before they got off, and I had loossen up the adjuster to make it easyer to remove. Last time I broke part of the outer ridge of the drum and now water is going in, must replace pads that are cracked. I am waiting for parts due on monday (complete rebuilt with new parts, drum included) if somebody knows of a stuff to prevent drum sticking to axle, please tell me... :D

Back