93 Explorer-right rear drum brake issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer-right rear drum brake issues

btennant

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer
In December I changed my rear drum pads (ceramic) and brake cylinders, and almost immediately had issues with bad squeaking and very sensitive braking....only on the right rear side. I took the drum off several times, readjusted them, and verified with a mechanic friend that everything had been properly reassembled. However, as soon as I adjusted things and things felt and sounded better, within days the noise and over sensitivity returned. My friend suggested that possibly I had a warped drum on that side, so I replaced it on that side. Days later, the problems returned. Several times I adjusted the adjusting wheel while the drum was still on, it would get better, and again days later the problems returned. Next, I replaced the adjusting mechanism, it worked better for a few days, but the same problems returned. A few weeks later I replaced all of the hardware (springs, etc), and after about a week or so, the sensitivity and noise returned. It was if they kept incorrectly adjusting, so I returned the self adjusting mechanism to Advance Auto thinking it was bad, and reinstalled the second new one but that didn't help. When I replaced the mechanism, I also applied some anti seize to the contact points on the sides of the shoes (not on the part where it makes contact with the drum), and did a very thorough job of cleaning everything with brake kleen. For a few days it worked great (no noise at all and they felt perfect) and once again, the sensitivity is back and the noise is slowly coming back also. This past weekend (about 5 days after the second adjusting mechanism replacement and thorough cleaning) it had gotten extremely sensitive again where if I applied the brakes while driving real slow in a parking lot, the brake would catch very hard on the right rear and almost skid (this is the over sensitivity that I have been referring to). I adjusted it once more to loosen the pads away from the drum a little and that helped some. That was about 5 days ago. Now the sensitivity is not as extreme as it was last weekend, but still feels too sensitive and it seems to slowly be getting worse again. I am extremely frustrated and have spent crazy amounts of time messing with the right rear brakes. I read somewhere if you install the left side adjusting mechanism on the right side, then it can cause problems, but according to Advance Auto, I have the correct one installed. I have zero idea what else to try on my own, but based on how my adjustments to how tight the pads are to the drum seems to help, even if it is only temporarily, I would assume it is related to that. But the million dollar question is why it's doing that.....and why only on that one side. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the left side and make sure it is working correctly? Could be the left side brakes are not functioning properly.

My noise that comes and goes is only on the right side. Also, a few times when I was driving slow in grass and put on the brakes and it got very sensitive, you could see where the right rear tire locked up and drug in the grass. I haven't pulled the left drum but I will do that just to be sure. Thanks...

I'd say check the parking brake cables and be sure they are moving smoothly, and not rusted to the metal sheath, or otherwise binding or stuck so they don't have a full range of motion to allow the drum shoes to fully retract to the disengaged position.

The other thing you'll want to check is the parking brake cable return spring on the driver's side. Usually that wears out from age and rust and gets weaker over time. Replacement with a new, stronger spring can pull the parking brake cable back hard enough so the rear shoes aren't partially engaged all the time. The universal Dorman HELP! parts section of most auto parts stores has a universal return spring that is about the same size as the original but thicker and stronger. You have to cut it to fit and bend it to the right shape.

Also, you should only replace drums/discs and hardware in pairs, just like brake shoes/pads. If you have a new drum and new hardware on one side, you need a new drum and new hardware on the other side. Brakes don't work as they should when one side is adjusted for a brand new braking surface and the other is adjusted for an older, worn braking surface. You'll never get rid of the imbalance between the left and right sides without the same type of drum, shoes, and hardware (both old, or both new) on both sides.

The adjusting mechanisms are side specific. They won't work correctly on the wrong sides and the brakes will not adjust or engage properly.

You may also want to double check the position of all the hardware. Sometimes something as minor as having one spring hook in front or behind another when it needs to be the other way can affect the brakes. You may also have installed two similar springs in the wrong position. Looking at photos of other Explorer drum brakes with the new, color-coded springs installed might tip you off to any mistakes. When doing drums, it can be a good idea to only take one side apart at the time, and use the other side as a reference for the positions of the springs and the parts, or at least take a photo of everything before you start.

Thanks so much for taking the time to type such a lengthy reply. I will take all of that into consideration, do some checking and tweaking, and hopefully that will help.

The fact that I have a pretty decent amount of brake dust pile up when I pull the drums each time, would that likely mean that the pad is partially engaged when it shouldn't be?

Thanks so much for taking the time to type such a lengthy reply. I will take all of that into consideration, do some checking and tweaking, and hopefully that will help.

The fact that I have a pretty decent amount of brake dust pile up when I pull the drums each time, would that likely mean that the pad is partially engaged when it shouldn't be?

That could be caused by the other side having more material. As was said I always like to replace both sides at once. Do that and see what happens.

The other possibility is that the proportioning valve is not doing its job.

Just read the post because I'm having the exact same issues. Was this problem ever solved? I've replaced drums, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, wheel sensors master cylinder, brake booster and the abs module. Did the same with the front as well. Please let me know if this was ever solved.

The best solution to drum brakes is to swap them with disks.

I think the issue was discussed at length with no solution. I've never had one brake be more sensitive than the other side, especially since you already replaced everything.

How does the pedal feel?

The best solution to drum brakes is to swap them with disks.

I think the issue was discussed at length with no solution. I've never had one brake be more sensitive than the other side, especially since you already replaced everything.

How does the pedal feel?
Pedal feels a little spongy but not bad . Been so long that I can't tell anymore. Been driving my son's car and I got used to that so it's going to feel different than his . I noticed on the thread that the parking brake cable and springs may be causing that. My mechanic is coming next Wednesday and we're going to explore that. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the reply.

Back