• Register Today It's free!

'94 Explorer Front axle is short

MythX

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer EB
I have a 1994 Explorer Sport. I wanted to find out why 4 wheel drive won't engage, so I removed the front wheels & hub locks to find that the front passenger axle does not stick out far enough to engage the hub. The auto hub locks were replaced with manual locks, but I don't think they're part of the problem. The axle clearly doesn't stick out far enough.

I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting this, or if this is something to leave to a professional.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is supposed to be a C-clip that fits near the end of the axle that keeps it extended through the spindle. My first thought in a case like yours is that this C-clip has become lost.

Thanks, I will look for that....sounds like that would be an easy fix

Thanks

Alright that appears to be the issue. Now to find the part.

Thanks

Note that if the c-clip is missing, the washer may be missing as well. It has a toothed inside diameter that fits over the axle splines. You may be able to get these parts from Ford or a junkyard Explorer or Ranger.

That makes sense. I just sent it to a tranny shop to have the trans. rebuilt. They said they'd have a look at it and wouldn't have a problem getting parts for it. Figured since they'll already have it up and apart, I won't have to get my hands dirty. I'm just hoping there's no underlying reason for the missing clip.

Thanks for the info though. I'm not much of a mechanic.

Back