• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer problems, please help

top detailer

Reaction score
City, State
va
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 04 XLT
I have a 94 ford explore that purchased new in 93. I never had a problem with it all till recently. The problem I had was a starting problem. The truck wouldn't start at all. When I did get it started, at times it would start to jerk as I was driving. Now, I thought the fuel pump was going bad(not producing enough pressure). I did replace the fuel filter and pump, the same probnlem continued. My uncle who work for ford for 33 years has a shop. He and I work on it saturday for hours, but to no avail. While working on the truck(trial and error), we change out the engine control modulater(truck computer). We put one in from a wrecked 94 he had at the shop. Well, the truck started, but wasn't running right. We checked the part no. on the cpu from the wreck 94 and the one from mine truck. The numbers were not the same. Therefore, we knew we had to get a cpu ith the correct part number. I found one qat Nappa for 128.00. I placed the cpu in the truck and the truck started and ran well while it was idling. The problem came when I attempted to drive the truck....no power at all. Now, I'm really pissed. has anyone ever had anything like this happen to their explorer? If so, what did you do to correct the problem? Please post any ideas you can trhink of that may help my problem.

it idle's fine, but once you give it gas it dies?

Fuel delivery related? Check your new fuel pump (if it was that easy) and your filter.

i dunno, if it wasnt getting enough air it would stall. I had a problem with my MAF where it came loose from the intake. So the motor was pulling straight unfiltered/unaccounted air, but at the time i swore up and down i ran out of gas. The CPU didnt see any air come in, so it would just stop fuel delivery to the chambers. It was really confusing how i was able to drive 8 miles to the gas station... with no gas... haha

Is your CEL on? Have you tried to read the codes stored in the ECU? Did you try the little easy stuff like the PCV, clean the MAF etc?

Back