94 Explorer Stalled on me (111 too) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Stalled on me (111 too)

TheRooki3

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
It's weird because my girlfriend broke down and we puched the car to the side of the road....once we did that i read the codes and i got 111 then 157 ....i then got it towed home and then tried to clean the MAF then cleared the ECU.....stil got the 157. Went to autozone and bought a MAF sensor and installed it...cleared the codes and now i have just 111 ....just cranks now and no start....suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump goin?

ya listen for the fuel pump prime to ensure pressure when you first turn on the key, (before you start the engine). its a subtle whine front the fuel tank area.

Thank you for the response guys (i love this site) ...but i'll try to check it out tomorrow...if thats the case.....where's the fuel pump located? and is it hard to change? expensive? Come to think of it....a come of days before this happened, i remember trying to start it up and it failing on the first crank....but the second crank it fires right up. Also i was driving the other day and smelled a electrical burn somewhere in the car....eventually it passed though so i thought nothing of it...

Crap...i think it IS the fuel pump...it all makes sense now....i turned the key (position 2) and no buzzing sounds from the pump....i am so broke and so screwed...

fuel pump located in the gas tank. also you can check your fuel pump relay you might be lucky. im not sure where its located you can call the dealer.

relays are under hood on pass side by fender.

Hi:

As KobeJ05 says the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank. Replacing it requires dropping the tank or cutting a hole in the floor board just under the rear passenger drivers side seat. If you do a search on fuel pump you will find detailed instructions.

Before you do that you should eliminate lack of power by swapping the fuel relay located in the engine compartment passenger side. A different test you can do is to apply 12v to the fuel pump wire. There is two places where you can do this. One is with the inertial switch located just under heater housing and the other is just in front of the drivers rear wheel in the frame rail.

I find the inertia switch easier to get to. So if you peel back the upper part of the carpet you should see the inertia switch. The lead running under the carpet goes to the fuel pump and the other side goes to the relay. If you apply 12v to the leads to the fuel pump one of them should turn the pump on and the other will not do anything. If the pump does not come on then the problem is the wire or the pump.

Trust that helps
PaMnd

Hi:

As KobeJ05 says the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank. Replacing it requires dropping the tank or cutting a hole in the floor board just under the rear passenger drivers side seat. If you do a search on fuel pump you will find detailed instructions.

Before you do that you should eliminate lack of power by swapping the fuel relay located in the engine compartment passenger side. A different test you can do is to apply 12v to the fuel pump wire. There is two places where you can do this. One is with the inertial switch located just under heater housing and the other is just in front of the drivers rear wheel in the frame rail.

I find the inertia switch easier to get to. So if you peel back the upper part of the carpet you should see the inertia switch. The lead running under the carpet goes to the fuel pump and the other side goes to the relay. If you apply 12v to the leads to the fuel pump one of them should turn the pump on and the other will not do anything. If the pump does not come on then the problem is the wire or the pump.

Trust that helps
PaMnd
good info.

Back